Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invisible Ink (Word 2003)

Good afternoon.

I was able to combine the upper/lower case and OR code streams supplied by Hans and Paul to construct a mailmerge equation that will prevent a document from printing without one of two alternate required fields being filled in. The sole purpose of this equation is to ensure data entry. It is not used to populate the document with any figures. Therefore, I would like to modify it so that when the required data entry is performed in the designated fields, nothing actually prints on the document. The answer to the equation is arbitrary. It solves to 0. So I would like to avoid the displacement of text that would occur as a result of the 0 populating the document.

Is there a way to add a rule that instructs Word to represent the answer to the equation as "blank". Effectively - IF ANSWER = "O" "". Or even better, "(As long as the fields contain the required data) whatever the answer is, print nothing."

If configured this way, the only instances in which the equation would make itself known to the user would be when the required data entry was not performed, in which case a "field calculation error" page would print, instead of the actual document.

Here is a representation of the partially-expanded equation. Apart from all of the bookmarked information imbedded within, it is simply one item added to another:

{ IF TRUE = 1 "" ":{ =(«Field_1»+«Field_2» ) }" }

Is there a way to write something akin to this? - { IF TRUE = 1 "" ":{ =(«Field_1»+ «Field_2») IF ANSWER = "0" "" }" }

Or, again, a variant that would instruct Word to not populate the answer, regardless of what it is (but still require that an answer be derived from the necessary field data)?

Thank you for any sugestions.

KO
    !

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invisible Ink (Word 2003)

You could wrap the { =(«Field_1»+«Field_2») } field in another IF field.

Or perhaps you can use the SET field:

{ SET MyBookmark "SomeText" }

The above example sets the value of the bookmark MyBookmark to "SomeText" but it doesn't display anything. You can replace "SomeText" with an expression (between quotes) that involves fields.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

I employed your first suggestion, which seemed to be the simpler of the two. It works perfectly. So mission accomplished.

The only problem is that the entire equation becomes invisible even from the document editing view! (It can be revealed by highlighting the adjacent paragraph marker ,and then Shift / F9.) So I will have to place a marker on my master formula sheet so I can find it again. I would hate to be unable to locate it after all of these hours of finagling! Thank you for all of your help.

KO

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can always make ALL field codes visible by pressing Alt+F9. The same keyboard shortcut will hide them again too.
    Other options:
    - Even though invisible, the bookmark will be listed in the Insert | Bookmark dialog and in the Edit | Go to dialog with the Bookmark option.
    - You can make the location of bookmarks visible by ticking Bookmarks in the View tab of Tools | Options... - see screenshot below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (2.9 KB, 0 views)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That helps. I didn't know any of those things. Thank ypu very much.

KO