New Lounger
    Thanks

Transfer info to new record (Access 2003 SP3)

I have put together a db to keep track of computer inventory. Some users have printers attached to their machine with an id tag attached. I would like to be able to "move" the printer information to a new machine when the user gets an upgrade. For instance, when I enter a new machine, one of the fields I use is "User". I would like to be able to stick something in the AfterUpdate event that would check the existing users and get a msgbox giving me the option to transfer the printer info. Does this make any sense?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Transfer info to new record (Access 2003 SP3)

Welcome (back) to Woody's Lounge!

Can you provide more information about the structure of the tables you use? If you wish, you can post a stripped down copy of your database. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    Attached is a scaled down model of the db. Just some housekeeping/operational stuff:

1) In order to add a new record, you have to enter a Service Tag. You can make one up, but if you do, you will be prompted for additional information. If you want to avoid making up more info, you may use the following values for Service Tag:
    1G8BX41
    1J54N51
    1S1N311
    1T5LC51
    1ZBZ1B1

2) The machine name is not a required field, so name away! The only other field on frmForm that really matters for this problem is the User field. I would suggest using the user "Franki Doane" since this is the way the name appears in the user list box and this user is assigned a printer already.

That's everything I can think of at the moment. Feel free to fire off any more questions if something is unclear.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd create a separate tblPrinters table (or tblPeripherals if you prefer). This table should have its own primary key - a serial number or printer service tag or perhaps an AutoNumber field. It should also have a computer service tag field that links this table to tblMain. The latter wouldn't have fields related to printers any more.
    If you want to "move" a printer to a different computer, you change the computer service tag field in tblPrinters.

Note: I'd use the Staff ID field in tblMain to specify the user instead of the username. If you use a combo box with 2 columns (Staff ID and Staff Name) and set the width of the first column to 0, you'll SEE the staff name but STORE the Staff ID.