Thanks

Character display (FF 3)

(Edited by PaulB on 25-Jun-08 16:53. OK, that didn't work too well. I'll post a graphic as an example.)

I've noticed that some sites display weird punctuation and other funny characters. For example, "North America's" displays as "North America’s" on a site I recently visited. The View > Page Source also displays this. I've had this happen with FF 2 also, so I don't think it's FF 3 specific. This behavior does not happen when I visit the site with IE. Is there some setting that I should be tweaking?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Re: Character display (FF 3)

Sometimes the page's character set and the server's specified character set don't match, or the server doesn't say and Firefox guesses incorrectly. This often can be corrected just for the current page by using the View > Character Encoding fly-out menu. Unless Firefox 3 now remembers your choice on a site-by-site basis, this would need to be done on each page you visit that has the same problem.

Thanks

<hr>In FF3 the View>Character Encoding shows Western (ISO-8859-1) yet the page displays the funny characters. If I change to Unicode (UTF-8), the page displays properly. Do you have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?<hr>
    Complain to the webmaster?? I'm not sure of any end-user fix for this. Well, I was just looking at extensions and there's one named iMacros. perhaps that would be worth exploring...

Regarding the Lounge screen shot, the conversion to the HTML entity &lt; is needed to prevent the left angle bracket from being understood as the opening of an HTML tag.

Thanks

Edited by HansV to reduce picture in size - please don't post pictures larger than 640 x 480 pixels.

OK, this is where it gets a little fuzzy for me, Jefferson. The site/page in question has the following as part of the <head> tag:

<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1" />

In FF3 the View>Character Encoding shows Western (ISO-8859-1) yet the page displays the funny characters. If I change to Unicode (UTF-8), the page displays properly. Do you have any suggestions as to how to deal with this?

BTW, it only gets stranger. Look at the attached graphic. It shows the results of the spell check for this post. Notice how some of the same special characters are displayed differently.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB