3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Updating of a field in a bookmark (Word 2003)

Thanks to the help received here, I now have my template as required except for one problem.

I have a table with several rows intended to display, amongst other things, the content of the final cell of a number of other tables.

The "other" tables have rows scheduling work to be done and the final column is a calculation of the days and rate in the previous two columns. The final row end column of these tables is the total of all the work. It is a simple {=SUM(ABOVE) #"#,#" } field that works correctly when you go CTRL A and then F9.

Here's the problem. I then enclose that field in a bookmark so that in the summary table I can cross reference that total. Once I enclose that field in a bookmark, then CTRL A and then F9 no longer updates that cell. The rest of the table updates if I change the days or rate, just not the total. If instead of CTRL A F9 I select just the table, then it does update. It just fails under CTRL A.

Any ideas please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Updating of a field in a bookmark (Word 2003)

Have you tried going to Print Preview and then back to your previous view?
    If you have set the option "Tools > Options > Print > Update Fields" then this should update all the fields in your document.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Peter,

If you check out my Word Field Maths tutorial again (<post#=365442>post 365442</post#>), you'll see how you can cross-reference cells in another table, by bookmarking the whole table and how you can easily get the column total without having to know which row the total is on.

You might also want to take a look at the tutorial's discussion on the limitations of SUM(ABOVE) and some of the problems you can encounter when bookmarking cells.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart: Thanks, I had tried that and also a VBA line that I found here. I should have mentioned that.

Paul: Doh! I looked at your document and must have missed it. I will now look again, properly. Thanks.