3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Moving drawing objects (Word 2000 SR1)

We have a unique situation with our EDMS, which utilizes print servers. These print servers are running Word 97. We have a document that was created in Word 2000; this document consists of a large table, and in one column, the originator entered "N/A" at the top and bottom of the column, and inserted a double-headed arrow from the top to the bottom to indicate that the values are carried throughout the column.

When the form is printed through the EDMS, the double-headed arrows shift to the far-left column in the table. I presume this has something to do with opening the document in Word 97, although I thought that 97 could handle 2000 documents. Is this the problem, and if so, is there a solution? I've tried locking the anchor, etc., nothing seems to work.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Moving drawing objects (Word 2000 SR1)

Hi Gary,

Sorry no solution offered, just noting that I've seen examples of discrepancies in the placement of graphics when moving between Word 97 and 2000.

For example, textboxes created in a Word 97 document may turn up in a different location when the document is opened in Word 2000.

Another complicating factor is that some of the properties underlying table formatting changed from Word 97 to Word 2000.

Here's a left-field idea - rather than use a graphic double-headed arrow, perhaps you can find one in Symbols that can be substituted - this would be inline so should stay put.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem with using a symbol is that the arrows span mulitple cells. The "N/A" is entered in the first and fourth (last) cell of the column, and the arrows span the second and third cells.

I didn't originate the form, and if it was up to me, I'd have just repeated the "N/A" in every cell in the column, rather than using a double-headed arrow to show continuity, which is something rarely done here. I guess this is one of those "growing pains" while upgrading from Word 7.0/95 to 2000.
    The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position or opinion of WCNOC.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just wanting to let everyone know that I have found a solution to this problem!

In Tools, Options, on the Save tab, the Disable features not supported by Word 97 check box needs to be checked. Once I did so, the arrows moved on the active document, so I moved them back, saved the document, and voila! Printing them on the Word 97 print server was a complete success.

Thanks to everyone for their help.