Thanks

How to access two subnets

This was probably covered in Networking 101, but that was so long ago that I've forgotten quite a lot of it.

I have two subnets<UL><LI>192.168.0.xxx which has a router on 192.168.0.1 and a fileserver on 192.168.0.2, and a variety of PCs and printers on subsequent addresses, some with IP addresses allocated by DHCP from the router, some fixed.<LI>192.168.2.yyy which has a router on 192.168.2.1 and a terminal server on 192.168.0.2 (the terminal server is also accessible as 192.168.0.20). No other devices on this subnet.[/list]Each router has a fixed external IP address, which is probably irrelevant for this purpose. Currently the subnet masks are 255.255.255.0 throughout.

At present the only awkwardness is that I cannot log on to the router on 192.168.2.1 from any of the PCs on the main LAN (192.168.0.xxx), and have to first log on to the terminal server to be able to see it.

So, the question is: if I were to change the subnet mast to 255 255.252.0 throughout, would I be able to 'see' the router from my PC - and thus anything from 192.168.0.1 thru' 192.168.3.254?

(As you might imagine, that is not the REAL question, which relates to the ability from a 'home' PC to be able to VPN/Remote Desktop in via the Terminal Server's router to one of the domain PCs, there to be able to log on remotely more or less as if you were sitting in front of it. There's a lot more involved, of course, but the answer to the Subnet Mask question will probably define whether this possible solution is potentially feasible - or not at all!).

Thanks
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: How to access two subnets

Does IP Subnetting Tutorial help?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

To be honest, Joe, not much! It always seems that the networking problems I get are so specific to my installation that it really needs someone with intergalactic knowledge to elucidate them - and that person isn't me!
    BATcher

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

BATcher,

The important information that you haven't provided is the physical connectivity of this lot.

If everything is connected to a single switched Ethernet then you could set your PCs up with a netmask of 255.255.252.0. They will be able to access both routers, but will still have their default gateway set to 192.168.0.1, so they will only be able to connect to external addresses via that router.

If the two routers are on physically separate networks then you will need to connect them together somehow and set up a route between them. The first router will then route packets to the second one.

StuartR

Thanks

Thanks, Joe - I'll check through these links.

Stuart: hope the attached PDF is adequate for your purposes?
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's easy. Everything is connected to a single switched Ethernet so you can just play with the netmask.

StuartR