New Lounger
    Thanks

Additional files created when document opened (Office 2007 & Vista HP 32-bit)

Hi Loungers

I've got a little problem with Office 2007 that started several months ago and I can't seem to shake. Whenever I open a document (any document), shortly after I close it again (even if I haven't modified or saved it at all), a file is created in the folder it was in with the title ~$<document name>.xlsx (in the case of an Excel file). I sometimes also get files like ~WRD0000.tmp, sometimes several at a time. In all cases, it doesn't seem to matter if I delete any or all of the extra files.

I am fully patched, and when the problem came up I tried rolling back some of the Vista patches using System Restore, but unfortunately it wouldn't let me. I have tried running through the diagnostic procedure within Office (it thinks it's ok) and even completely uninstalling and reinstalling Office - all to no avail.

Any ideas? I'm running Vista Home Premium (32-bit) and Office 2007 Professional.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Additional files created when document opened (Office 2007 & Vista HP

These are temporary files that Word and Excel use. If one was to close each Word or Excel file properly they (the temp files) should be deleted. But if the file is NOT closed properly, these files will stay and are used as part of the file recovery process when needed.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wow, that was quick - thanks Dave!

So you're saying that Office is behaving as it should? I'm getting these files every time, no matter how I close the documents. Just seems a little strange (and kinda irritating having these filescluttering everything up) as it started doing this suddenly a few months ago, having never done so before.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"filescluttering everything up"

Something is wrong if you keep getting these left behind. As I stated earlier, IF word, Excel and other program is NOT shut down properly you will get these files. With ALL of your programs closed, browse to the folder that you are finding these files, if there are any there delete them. Just make sure that these are the Temp files and not your data files.

Most with start with "~" and/or have an extension of tmp.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"With ALL of your programs closed, browse to the folder that you are finding these files, if there are any there delete them."

Yep, this is what I have been doing. The folder that the files appear in is the same one in which the genuine file came from.

What I was trying to find out was if there was any way of stopping these files from being routinely created, as it is a pain to keep on deleting them every time I open/close a document.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

A answer to your question is NO.

BUT, there is something WRONG since these are NOT being deleted upon closing?

How do you close a Word or Excel file?

Also if these programs are up and running when you shut down or reboot the computer then these files may get left behind, because Word and/or Excel is NOT being closed before shutdown.

New Lounger
    Thanks

"there is something WRONG since these are NOT being deleted upon closing"

Yeah, that's what I figured. I normally close Word/Excel by either clicking the red cross, or right clicking the taskbar tab and selecting Close (after saving). I never shutdown the computer without exiting Word or Excel first. (If I have the folder in question open in Windows Explorer, the temp files only appear several seconds *after* I have closed the document or exited the application.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

None of our machines work the way you say your's is. On our machines the tempt file(s) appear as soon as a existing file is opened and disappears when the file is closed.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Do you have Office 2007 SP-1 installed? What permissions do you have on the folder? See if Description of how Word creates temporary files has any useful information.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Take a quick glance at the file size and attributes. You may find that they are all (for example)162 bytes in size and have the attributes hsa.

You may have a problem with BUILDING BLOCKS, for which other readers may have better links than I can provide.

Thanks

Re: Additional files created when document opened

According to this thread at Techguy, it may have something to do with AVG:
    <hr>The problem appears to be something within the AVG resident shield as if I tunr it off then all works fine.<hr>

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the lack of response folks - I've just got back from a last-minute hillwalking trip, which I ought to have planned weeeeks ago...

Office 2007 SP1 is installed, though the problem started before it was released. Permissions are standard (never been altered).

Attributes - well, all files are pretty small...0 bytes, in fact. Some are 'TMP files'; others just 'Files'. (I forgot to mention, another type of filename that comes up from Excel sometimes [not always] is stuff like 'FFFE4000'.)

Leif, thanks for that link - hmm, interesting, I don't have AVG (and never have done) - I use Norton 2007. However, I've just tried switching all the elements off, and the problem still occurs.

Thanks

I just came across another link at wugnet which shows you are not alone!

(Note it continues onto 'page 2')

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif - yep, that seems to be the same problem, or a very similar one. No-one seems to know much about it though... I'm planning on doing my first annual computer clean-out and OS re-installation sometime over the next couple of months or so, so hopefully that'll cure the problem if nothing else. Although it seemed strange to me that the problem persisted even after completely un- and re-installing my Office suite!