Thread: Snipping (SR-1)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Snipping (SR-1)

I have somehow lost my precious snipping tool and don't know how to restore it.

The shortcut tells me that it is at C:WindowsSystem32SnippingTool.exe, but no backup that I have, including ShadowProtect, has such a program in that location. I have already used a restore point unnecessarily and have spent too much time hunting for the thing. Ironically, I have regained control of the printer that I had lost control of and wanted the snipping tool to provide a screen shot of the error message for, which is admittedly more important in the short run. Even so, that delightful feature of Vista is saving me forty bucks in third-party software and I would like it back. Can anyone tell me where to look for it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Snipping (SR-1)

You do have Vista Premium, Business or Ultimate, I presume? The snipping tool is not available in the more basic versions.

Make sure that Tablet PC options have been turned on in Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | Turn Windows Features On or Off.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Non-intuitive, as academics like to say. Not exactly user-friendly. Forget about WYSIWYG. Where is it documented? I groan. This may take a few minutes, they say. It seemed to take hours.

Why in blazes would they require tablet setup for something that works perfectly well for its most common (rectangular) use with a mouse? Are non-tablet users deprived of this treasure?

Yes, I was playing with settings without a manual (and thereby got the printer working), and while I do have Business Edition on this computer and I did set it up with a Wacom tablet, which I don't happen to have with me, I confess to having unchecked the tablet setting since it isn't a tablet computer, and yes, that was within the past eight hours.

Sorry I mentioned the forty bucks. You will have to get by without, but I do offer my sincere thanks for your swift and accurate answer.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Try typing in the Start search pane "Sni" and the snipping tool list should appear in the listing.
    I have Home Premium and it has it. I know that Ultimate did during Beta and the RTM of the original release.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, but in my case that brings up a third-party application called DownloadStudio URL Sniffer and nothing else.

When I was hunting for it, I right-clicked the no-longer-functioning QuickStart icon and Properties showed me the location of the file to which it had been linked. Windows Help And Support has many of answers, but not in a form that I was able to get what I needed within a finite time. Hans had the answer in what seemed like the blink of an eye.

Is the Tablet box checked by default in these versions of Vista? If not, then maybe someone should tip off the many who would have a use for it as a simple rectangle for screen shots using a mouse, something often sought in the Lounge and that really might cost forty bucks if you buy the major third-party application.

Illogical, irrational, inscrutable...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

The explanation for the peculiar result to my search is that the last time I installed the latest version of Copernic Desktop Search I blindly clicked through the options and allowed it to be my default search tool. That apparently lets it become the search tool on the Start menu.

The program it found is among my legitimate third-party programs, but I certainly don`t recommend letting Copernic take that place on the Start menu.