Thread: TOC (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC (2003)

Hi everybody,

I have created this code for a TOC based on 3 outline levels for the bookmark "procedure."

TOC O "1-3" B PROCEDUREF H Z

How can I program it so that, rather than show all outline levels up to level 3, it shows only text corresponding with heading 1, 2, and 3?

Thank you,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC (2003)

You can specify which styles you want to include by clicking Options in the Table of Contents tab of the Insert | Reference | Index and Tables dialog. Clear the level number for styles that you do *not* want in the TOC.

If you want to specify the field code yourself, you can replace the O "1-3" switch with

t "Heading 1,1,Heading 2,2,Heading 3,3"

The quoted string after t has the format "Style,Level, Style,Level,...". See the help for TOC or Field codes: TOC (Table of Contents) field.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans,
    What does t mean?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Like o and b etc. it is one of the so-called switches for the TOC field. The t switch specifies the styles that you want to include in the TOC and their levels. I don't think t has a deeper meaning than that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Do you know why it tells me that no table entries are identified when I build a TOC based on styles with the T switch and also include the U switch, but when I remove the U switch, the TOC is correctly built? Are the T and U switches incompatible with one another?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they are incompatible. In the T switch, you specify the level for each style explicitly, i.e. you wamt to ignore the outline level that has been set for styles and paragraphs. Hence it makes no sense to use U if you use T, because U means that you want to create a TOC based on the outline level set for paragraphs.