1. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apply template to an existing document (Word 2003)

Is it possible to apply a template to an existing document? Here is what I am looking at. A secretary types up a letter starting with a new blank document from the normal.dot. After the document is created, the boss says it is going to be an email attachment. We have a template for our letterhead that, if we knew when the letter was started, we could have used that template instead of the normal one. Is there anyway to "apply" the letterhead template to the already created document? I know we could cut and paste the info from the document into the template and save as a new document, but that really isn't an option that will work for people. As always, thanks for any help.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

3. Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Apply template to an existing document (Word 2003)

You can assign a different template to an existing document in the Tools | Templates and Add-Ins... dialog, but this may not do what you want.

What it will do:
    - Make the macros in the new template available.
    - Make the custom toolbars in the new template available.
    - Make the custom keyboard shortcuts in the new template available.
    - Make the autotext entries in the new template available.

What it won't do:
    - Apply the styles from the new template to the document (once a document has been created, it stores its own copy of the styles).
    - Apply the page setup, headers and footers of the new template to the document.

Thanks

You can attach a template to an existing document, but that won't achieve what you are looking for. It will make available things like the Styles, Autotext and so on from the template. But it won't do things like change the margins to those used in the template, or insert the headers and footers from the template. I'm afraid that cutting and pasting sounds like the easiest thing to do.

Ian

5. 2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I didn't think I could do what I wanted but I thought it was worth asking about.

6. WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

You can copy everything but the last paragraph of your original document into a fresh document based on the new template. If the style names are the same in both templates, then clicking the automatically update checkbox in the templates and add-ins dialog (and immediately going back in to turn automatically update off) should take care of most formatting differences. Be sure that headers and footers after a section beak or a different first page are what you want.

PamC
    Pam Caswell