New Lounger
    Thanks

Can not open database (Access 97)

I have a database that was created in 97 and is still in 97. We are in the process of getting the company converted. Unfortunately not everyone can just stop working, so we are working in a double enviroment. I know that this creates numerous problems and we have encountered most of them. One that I can not figure out is why I can not get a database that has not been converted to open in 97. I have tryed repairing and compacting and that is not working.
    Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Kristen

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can not open database (Access 97)

<hr>One that I can not figure out is why I can not get a database that has not been converted to open in 97. <hr>
    What exactly happens when you attempt to open it?
    Do you have other versions of access installed on the same system?
    Are you attempting to open it by clicking on the .mdb file or using File>Open from access?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I get an error that says unrecognized database format at the path where the database is located. The computer is on windows 95 with Office 97. I am trying to open it by opening the .mdb file.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certainly could be a corrupt mdb. Try compact and repair or better yet Jetcomp.exe.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>We are in the process of getting the company converted<hr>
    I assume that means Access 2000 or 2002, right? Can you open it from Access 2000?

I've seen databases that seemed to get "stuck" between versions and that behaved like that. Unfortunately, I've also seen databases that gave that message and that were permanently dead. Try opening it with 2000. Also try JetComp if compact won't work. Failing those options, I hope you've got a backup somewhere that isn't too old because you will have run out of alternatives.
    Charlotte