4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access to MySql (MS ACCESS 2003)

Can anyone put me clear on this. I am trying to use Access as a front end to MySql. I followed all the instructions I could get, exported the access tables into MySql, and then relinked the MySql tables back to Access. So in Access I could see both tables, as an example Towns, and Towns1 (the last being the MySql table) I opened the database and did changes to a record. The Access table Towns got changed but the other table did not. In my pursuit for information, none of the articles I read said delete the old Access tables and rename the MySql ones back, so Access would recognise them, but thata what I did. Have I done something wrong, or was that correct. Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access to MySql (MS ACCESS 2003)

Yes, once you have exported the tables to MySQL, you should delete the original tables from the Access database (after having made a backup copy, of course!) and then link to the MySQL tables.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much Hans, so my gamble was correct. I have only got one mystery at the moment. In design view (Access) if I open a form I get an error saying This query is typed incorrectly, or is too complex etc. However if the same form is opened from another form (a menu) then I get no errors. I cannot seem to find a place to put in a debug point, it happens before form load or open. Any ideas, best regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the error message really say "This query is typed incorrectly, .." or does it say "This expression is typed incorrectly, ..."?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Hans, you are correct. My short term memory is getting suspect!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does it help if you perform a compact and repair (in Tools | Database Utilities)?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, no that made no difference. It seems quite strange that the form opened in the database window has the error, but as I said the same form when opened from another works okay. The other form is only a basic menu form. I might try importing the forms etc into a new database and see if it changes, will let you know. Thanks again

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, got the same problem. Compiled the code in the forms okay, but still the error opening. In it's real world the form will get opened from the menu form, but I don't like leaving it. The DB is too big to attach, so I think I will have to carry on until it breaks for good. One last question, do the relationships have to be redone in the Access relationships window. I tried it, but the links do not appear as one to many etc, just a line. ? Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have to create the relationships in MySQL, not in the Access frontend.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I had removed the relationships in Access. I had exported my table data from Access using software AccessToMySql which seems to keep tables related. Best regards