Thanks

Disappearing Icons (XPP SP3)

I recently did a destructive reformat on the hard drive of my laptop. While everything is working just fine, I notice that when I reboot, that instead of showing a ? over the drive letter that is not connected, the drive icon simply disappears from my screen. I don't remember seeing this happen before. I also noticed that all of the drive letters are now different from what they were originally. For example my Pocket Drive was drive F and it is now drive H, and my Maxtor was Drive H and is now Drive G. Is there a way to change those back to what I want them to be? I have TWEAK UI and didn't see anything that indicates that I could change them there.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Disappearing Icons (XPP SP3)

Looks like you have added another drive during the rebuild, or you had lost one on the old build and then found it.

You souls be able to use TweakUI to do the renaming, but you will need to find out were that extra drive came from. You can NOT rename a drive letter when in use.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

No, I didn't add or remove a drive.
    They were this way originally"
    C=C, D=Recovery, E=DVD, F=Pocket Drive, G=Printer Card Reader, H=Maxtor, I=Laptop Smart Card Reader

Now they are C, D, E, and I are Ok, But the others are now H=Pocket Drive, G=Maxtor, and F=Printer Card Reader.
    The only reason I am concerned about this is because when I boot the computer I am now getting a No Disk Error from the Printer Card Reader when I didn't before.
    I will shut them all down and rename them and see what happens and re post
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks

Well, I wasn't able to change them, so that rules out the No Disk Error. Something else is hay wire then.
    Thanks John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Nothing went haywire.
    The new arrangement is based on the sequence that you fired up the different devices vs. the sequence that you did on the old configuration.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Ok,
    Problem resolved. I got HP on the phone to resolve the No Disk Error that was coming from the card reader on the printer. He reset the drive letter to drive L instead of what it was showing.
    While there he showed me how to change the drive letters for other drives other than Drive C of course.
    I now have the drive letters back to where I want them. So that they now correspond to my other laptop.
    The pocket drive is back to Drive F and the Maxtor is back to drive H.
    To do this we right clicked on My computer, then chose Manage, then Disk Management, then highlighted and right clicked on the drive that needed to be changed, and chose Change Drive letter and changed it to what was wanted. On the Pocket Drive that we changed to Drive F, we rebooted and then went back in and changed the Maxtor to Drive H and clicked apply then Ok. All is well now.
    Thanks John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Now if I can say this delicately and without offense, John, for your future "enjoyment." You should get in the habit of searching the Lounge because the business of drive letters is a frequently asked question. I searched just now for "change drive letter" and came up with many hits, among which are <post:=685,918>post 685,918</post:> and <post:=692,891>post 692,891</post:>. But you've got 'er whupped, so it's history now...

Thanks

Al,
    No offense taken. I do in fact most of the time search for an answer before I post. Thanks for the reminder to do so.
    Thanks John