Thread: AVG 8.0 Error

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG 8.0 Error

I received an e-mail request for help from a relative - that's what happens when you recommend a program, you become their help desk. The problem, which only recently occurred, is with the AVG update operation and the message "General Update ... not enough free memory...." appears. I run AVG 8.0 and have not experienced this problem, but a search on the internet shows others have. Several fixes to this problem have been cited involving either proxy settings, reinstalls, pagefile settings ....... Not having the problem on my machine to check out the solutions, I wonder if anyone here is familiar with this problem and its real cause/solution.

Paul

Thanks

Re: AVG 8.0 Error

Hi Paul,
    I no longer use AVG for a number of reasons but scanning around seems to reveal that the " not enough memory" error is very common with AVG 8, in particular.
    Only in one spot did I see that it uses about 100MB of FREE memory to update. So I guess that that ability to auto update will depend on the particular system arrangement. Your relative could try the usual deleting of TIFs, history and temp files and try reducing the number of apps running in the background. Maybe? That's only a guess but it was ONE of the things suggested in some forums, that may have worked.

Probably the best thing is to go right to the horses mouth at AVG Grisoft and use their on line tech support chats or read up on details at the AVG 8 FAQs

OR change to Avast?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AVG 8.0 Error

Bob,
    Thanks for the input. It sounds like your search gave you the same feeling about this problem that I got - it affects a fair number of users and various fixes seemed to have worked. The most authoritative response I found was from a moderator on the AVG forum and that solution was to reinstall, but kill the current user settings:

1. Download the latest AVG Free installation package from [free.grisoft.com]
    2. Run the AVG Free install file
    3. Choose the Uninstall option and follow the setup wizard, when you get to the part to remove user settings, select it.
    4. Restart your computer then...
    5. Now reinstall AVG using the setup file you got in step 1 and update it.

It does not sound like a "memory" problem even though that's what the error report says, maybe a storage problem. I've told my sister to try the above and let me know the results before doing anything else. This and other problems with the 8.0 version seem to have users walking off the AVG reservation, according to various postings I came across.

Paul