3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Invert or complement colours in word vba (2000SP3)

I am a fan of Blue Background-White text. Unfortunately, many documents become unreadable when viewed in this fashion. Some issues can be solved without worrying about reversibility (ie all black text to automatic, and white backgrounds in text boxes and tables), but colour shading and backgrounds and highlighting pose a bigger problem. Is there a reversible, mathematical operation that can be performed on a colour number to yield a complementary colour?

I'm no colour expert, so I'm not even sure if complementary is the right word, I guess I'm looking for a transformation that will allow white text to be readable on that background. I don't quite understand what the colour numbers mean in word vba, and even if I did I'm not enough of a colour expert to be able to work it out, and am hoping someone on this forum is.

Thanks very much

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invert or complement colours in word vba (2000SP3)

If you mean the values of ColorIndex: those numbers are more or less arbitrary, there's no easy way to determine a "complement". You'd have to find out what works best for you by trial and error.

BTW, the white text on blue background feature was introduced many many versions ago to appease users of MS-DOS applications such as WordPerfect for DOS. It has been left in Word for compatibility reasons, but you shouldn't really use it any more. The MS-DOS days are far behind us.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Invert or complement colours in word vba (2000

If you do a Google search for "complementary color", you'll find many sites with advice about choosing complementary colors. There are also sites that offer free software to do this (see http://www.anryhome.com/software/colorpicker/ , for example).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans - I have to say that I find it much easier on the eye, and I'm sure I've read somewhere than ergonomists agree, so I'd be very sad to see it go. I was talking about the full colour values, not just the 1-16 of colorindex. I read that the full numbers do represent colours in RGB space, but the author didn't elaborate.

William - thanks for your comments, but what I'm looking for is how to transform the number that represents a colour in vba into a complementary colour. Knowing what the complementary colour is helps only a little.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The attached text file contains a function Complement together with auxiliary code that will calculate the complement of an RGB value. It uses functions from Color conversion math and formulas converted from JavaScript to VBA.

Examples of use

Debug.Print Complement(vbRed)

Debug.Print Complement(Selection.Font.Color)
    Attached Files Attached Files