Thread: Find (2003)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find (2003)

Dear Loungers,

Every now and then, I do a find in word (control F) of a word that I know is certainly in the document, and I am told “The search item was not found.” In fact, I sometimes get this message with singe letters as prevalent as “a,” which show up hundreds of times or more in some documents. I have found that the only way to get around this error is to restart my whole computer, which can be a hassle.

Does anyone know what is happening?

Regards,

JMT

Thanks

Re: Find (2003)

If it works after restarting, I think you have demonstrated that there is no problem with the document itself. Assuming you are up-to-date on service packs and patches, then one possible culprit might be a memory or resources problem: if Windows cannot allocate memory to run a feature, perhaps it just fails silently?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

During a session, Word "remembers" the search settings, such as match case, match whole words only and match formatting. Unless you explicitly reset those, the settings may prevent you from finding something that is present. Quitting and restarting Word will also reset the search settings.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans, I don't think that is the problem, because I go through and assure that none of those special settings are activated.

Jscher, I suppose that could be part of the problem.

I sometimes also get this other problem:
    When doing a search for a word and indicate "Font: Not Italic; Complex Script Font: Not Italic," Word often says "the search item was not found," even though I am certain that the word is located in the document, without italics. Any ideas on why this could be? Does it have somethign to do with the complex script font? Should I set the font to not italic and the complex script font to nothing?

Thanks in advance,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What happens if you click "No formatting"?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

If I click "no formatting," it finds the text, no matter whether the text is in the normal style or set to headings 1 through 9.

When I set it to only look for text that is NOT set to italics, the oddest thing happens:
    When the text is set to heading 2, 5, and 8, Word does not find it,
    When the text is set to heading 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, and 9, Word does find it.

This would of course make sense if headings 2, 5, and 8 automatically italicized the text, but this is not the case; in my document, all styles are set to normal with no italics.

Which is why I am totally confused and have no idea what is going on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you post a small sample document that exhibits this problem?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

You also have to watch where Word is searching--such as in the selection, in comments, or things other than the document--and the direction it is searching in --the culprits being up or down rather than all. I change these settings regularly while editing. Ever since I recognized this behavior a couple years ago, I've rarely--maybe never-- had to restart Word because the search hangs.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans and everybody,

I realized the culprit: in the styles I was searching, the complex script fonts are set to italics. Thus, when I would set the Find function to "not italics," it would set up both the font and the complex script font to italics. Meanwhile, I never had any idea that 3 of my styles had complex script fonts in italics. In fact, I don't even know what complex script fonts are or why they are pertinent since those features never show up in the actual visible text.

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Complex script denotes right-to-left text such as used in Arabic and Hebrew.

Since you have enabled support for non-western languages (you denied this a month ago in <post:=720,049>post 720,049</post:> but now confirmed it in <post:=725,558>post 725,558</post:>), the settings for right-to-left text can be different from those for left-to-right text within the same text range or within the same style.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

Complex script fonts are ONLY used for non-Western languages?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes.