5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't Stop USB HDD

Had a 120Gb Western Digital IDE drive laying around, and needed an external hard drive. So I bought an Acomdata enclosure and installed the WD. My PC saw it just fine and I formatted the drive, mainly to get rid of the old data on it. Acomdata's instructions say to go through the standard USB "stop" procedure when removing the drive, then turn its power switch off. Worked fine the first time I tried it.

Then yesterday I used the drive to backup the My Documents folder on a PC that needed Windows XP Pro reinstalled on. Got done rebuilding the PC and this morning I transferred the MyDocs folder back to the PC. Then I tried to Stop the external drive. Got an error message "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped because a program is still accessing it." Have no idea what program that might be. Even tried turning indexing off on the drive, no difference. Need to get this sorted out. Help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't Stop USB HDD

John, I hope someone will come up with a viable answer, other than "shut down the computer" and THEN unhook the drive. I'm not too optimistic though because the Windows problem of something "still accessing" one or more files has been discussed many times here and elsewhere. It even reaches so far as to involve files in my C:windows<big>temp</big> folder that are two or more days old and Windows XP won't allow me to delete them saying they're still "in use."

I guess it COULD be something, somewhere in the properties settings for that drive, like power control or what have you. Hang in here and see if someone has a suggestion.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here are instructions for using sysinternals tools Handle or Process Explorer to find out which process has open files on a disk.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Here are instructions for using sysinternals tools Handle or Process Explorer to find out which process has open files on a disk. <<

I downloaded Sysinternals Suite and extracted the files, but there appears to be no Setup or Install program. Are the various programs run from a Cmd prompt? If so, what exe file do I use to launch Process Explorer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's right, stand-alone, no installation required, also no CMD prompt needed. Either use the Run command or double-click on PROCEXP.EXE.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> Here are instructions for using sysinternals tools Handle or Process Explorer to find out which process has open files on a disk. <<

Process Explorer found nothing when I did a Search on that drive And Handle opened a command window, blew a couple hundred lines through it in a couple seconds, then quit.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is strange, I just tested search from Process Explorer and it identified all the open files on my data disk, even some that I hadn't realised were open like the System Restore folder.

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> That is strange, I just tested search from Process Explorer and it identified all the open files on my data disk, even some that I hadn't realised were open like the System Restore folder. <<

This disk only has a System Information folder--no other files.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

The System Restore information is stored in the System Information folders. If System Restore is enabled on the drive disable it.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

>> If System Restore is enabled on the drive disable <<

That was it! Thanks for the tip.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You're welcome. Glad it worked. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe