Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setting a default printer

Hello all,

I recently went into my control panel to my printers folder to set up my local printer as default, yet Windows (Vista) always shows Microsoft XPS Document Writer as the printer whenever I print anything (from Word, Outlook, Internet Explorer, etc.). So then I have to go in and manually change it...everyday. Why isn't Windows recording my preference? Unfortunately, in Vista, after you select a printer as default, there is no "okay" or "apply" button, so I just close down the window. Can this be the root of the problem?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting a default printer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Are you using the Control Panel Printers applet to set the default printer?

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is your printer turned ON when you boot up, if not the the default will changed to one it can find?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> if not the the default will changed to one it can find

That has never happened to me on Windows XP and before. I rarely print at home, so my printer is usually off when I boot my PC, yet it remains the default printer. Is this new behavior in Windows Vista?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not true on MY system, Dave. I'm running Ultimate and have an HP970 set as the default and although it is normally powered on, I turned it off and booted twice to check. It's still the default. When I saw your post I thought that the OS finds the printer because of the physical connection, USB in my case.

I know that doesn't answer JMT's question about why his doesn't stick. I don't use the Office Suite any more - could it possibly be a setting in there somewhere, although I can't imagine where?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...there is no "okay" or "apply" button... <hr>
    And that's OK. As soon as you right-click the printer and select to set it as the default, the green check mark should turn on, so there's no need for an OK or Apply confirmation. You ARE seeing that green check mark aren't you?

One more question. If you do the above and then don't use the printer but re-boot the computer. After an immediate re-boot is the printer still selected in Control Panel (famous green check mark) or not? I'm fishing for the point at which it gets lost.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You are right, my printer is a shared one across the network on a XP machine. If that machine or network is not on line the the Default will change to a LOCAL printer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Big Al,

When I select it as the default printer, and close that printer window and re-open it, it sticks, but when I restart, the green checkmark goes back to Microsoft XPS Document Writer (what is that program, anyway? Some kind of a pdf writer??).

For some reason, among the 4 printers that are showing up in the printer window, the one that I want to have set as default is the only one greyed out (I presume this means that it is offline), even though other printers that certainly are not connected to my computer do not show up as greyed out. The printer's being greyed out does not prevent me from selecting it as a default, but I think it is related to the default not sticking with the printer on restart.

Perhaps it has to do with the printer's software? Should I should call HP??

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Is the printer offline? Have you tried it with the printer online? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to Joe's questions, I have a new one. In your initial post the implication is that you CAN successfully print from this printer. Is that correct? The reason I ask is that you now say it is "greyed out" and I'm not sure what you mean by that. You'll notice in MY screenshot up above that the word "ready" seems to be a bit lighter in color. Is that what you mean by greyed out? Or is the whole printer and all surrounding words shown as a lighter color grey (or gray if you prefer)?

I think it would help if you could attach a small screenshot as I did so we can see what you're seeing. I would think the only reason Windows would look for a new default printer on its own is if it can't "see" the printer, i.e. the connection is bad or the printer doesn't work, or ...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...what is that program, anyway? Some kind of a pdf writer?... <hr>
    Sorry, I meant to include this reference in my previous post: Print to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Joe and BigAl,

When my printer is turned off (offline), my printers dialogue box has the printer greyed out and set as "Offline," as in the attached screenshot. However, when I turn on the printer, it appears as "Ready," like all of the other printers in the screenshot.

Even when the printer is online, though, my programs default to Microsoft XPS Document writer when I print.

I have not yet tried to uninstall and reinstall the software. I am saving that as a last resort.

I am going to send another post in a moment, since I can't attach more than 100 kb at a time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As you can see from the attached image, the printer in question does NOT appear to be greyed out in the actual printing dialogue box (when you press control + P in Word). It only appears greyed out in the printer window in the control panel (attached in previous post). I'm not sure if this makes any difference.

Whether my printer is connected and plugged in or not, my programs always default to the Microsoft XPS Document Writer.

Best regards,

JMT
    p.s. - if I take a screenshot, is it possible to get it to be a jpeg or bitmap or some other image file, rather than copy it into a Word document and save it that way, as I did here?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, for example paste the screenshot into Paint and save it as a .png or .jpg file. See attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (38.9 KB, 1 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast