3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Profile deleted--there are missing items (Vista)

I need to help a friend quickly. He could not log on.He received the following error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded." I went to Microsoft's KB. Article ID : 947215 Following advice was given:
    To resolve this issue, follow these steps: 1. Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    b. Click Change settings.
    c. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    d. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
    e. In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.

2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.
    3. Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionProfileList
    4. Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
    5. Log on to the computer and create a new profile.

We did step 1. We did not do steps 2-5. He did a system restore to the day before. He was able to log on but all the files in the folders are gone. His IE favorites are gone. I am stumped. I thought that SR would not delete files. I am sure that they must be there but they are not accesible because a profile was deleted.
    Please, help!!
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Profile deleted--there are missing items (Vista)

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the user profile includes all the users files and their favorites.
    Do you have a backup of the system that you can restore the data from?

I had a look at Microsoft's KB. Article ID : 947215 and this tells you how to perform your steps 2 through 5, but I cannot see any instructions to delete your profile! This article has instructions for how you can re-enable login to an account if you have deleted the profile, but it does not tell you to delete the profile.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think he made a backup; however, he followed instruction # 1 from the Microsoft Article:

"To resolve this issue, follow these steps: 1. Delete the profile by using the Computer Properties dialog box. To do this, follow these steps: a. Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    b. Click Change settings.
    c. In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
    d. Under User Profiles, click Settings.
    e. In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK. "

Does this mean that this action removed access to all his files and folders?
    Thank you very much.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Oh dear. I see what you mean.

The article is titled <big>Error message when you log on to a Windows Vista-based computer by using a temporary profile:</big>, but in your case the profile you are deleting is not a temporary profile, it was a real user profile.

I think that Vista would only create a temporary profile if the real user profile had been deleted by someone.

In any case the profile includes all of the users files, registry settings, desktop etc and if it has been deleted then you have deleted all of these things.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see...in any case, is there any type of software recovery that can extract those files? From what I understand, files and folders are not permanently deleted until something is written over them
    Thank you.
    Alan Silberlight

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have had some success with Recuva. If you haven't created many files on the system since deleting the profile then you might be lucky.

StuartR