Lounger
    Thanks

'Unable to save print setting' when changing fonts (Outlook 2007 SP1 MSO (

There's never a dull moment with Outlook!! I recently have been getting an error message each time I try to change the fonts for printing Outlook tasks. The fonts default are too small. The message is as follows...

"Unable to save print settings. Make sure the file C:UsersEd BoydAppdataRoamingMicrosoftOutlookOutlprnt exits and can be written to."

So I found somewhere that said to create a file Outlprnt.doc in Word and place it in the above location. I did that! I've repaired Outlook 2007; I've clean uninstalled it and reinstalled. I've done every thing I can think of but it keeps reverting to the default Segoe fonts.

It seems that each time I try to print another Outlprnt file is created with a number on the end. Outlprnt1, Outlprnt2...all the way up to Outlprnt30. I deleted all but the Outlprnt file and it just starts over creating more of the same garbage files.

I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007; I have no clue why or how this all started?

Thanks for your help

Ed Boyd, seaboyd@comcast.net
    Absolute Mortgage Corp, Bellevue WA

We have enough problems in the mortgage business without these irritants.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Unable to save print setting' when changing fonts (Outlook 2007 SP1 M

It seems that you don't have sufficient permissions to overwrite the Outlprnt file.
    Try right-clicking the shortcut to Outlook and selecting "Run as Administrator". Does that make a difference?

Lounger
    Thanks

Good thought Hans... did not work. I can sometimes fake it out by going into the File Print, Table Style, Edit, change the fonts, then hit print and it will work sometimes. When it doesn't work, the above error message comes up, I hit OK and then OK again and it prints in that font I changed. Try doing it again and it won't workunless I go back in and change the fonts again. etc etc.
    A real mystery! Thanks for your help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you checked the properties of the file to make sure it is NOT read only and that your accoutn does have write permission?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe... the file has no read-only checks; checked all permissions and all are "Allow".

Lounger
    Thanks

There is one aspect of this problem that makes me suspect. Each time I print, another Outlprnt file is created... for example right now besides the Outlprnt file, I have Outlprnt0, Outlprnt1,Outlprnt2,Outlprnt3,Outlprnt4,Outlprnt5, etc... all the way to Outlprnt14, and that number will continue until 40 or beyond until I delete them. When deleting all but the Outlprnt file nothing happens. I have 'enough knowledge to be dangerous' but that can't be normal behavior for Outlook? I have done at least 4 repairs and re-installed (as clean as I know) 3 times... no go. The problem lies specifically in Outlook's ability to save the settings(fonts), once they are made. Thus you can change the fonts and those fonts may print or may not, most times not. That is an Outlook problem and not a printer. Many times a printer is to blame but this is not. I run a tight ship...I defrag frequently, I clean up the disk, I optimize, my driver's are up to date; I try to keep an eye on MS updates. I have a fast boot and shut down. It's omething stupidly simple in Outlook. Believe me, if I could readily transfer my Outlook files I would move on to another email or contact manager...any suggestions? Thanks again all for your help.

Thanks

Re: 'Unable to save print setting' when changing f

You could try this the next time. The freeware program Unlocker (see Unlocker Application) will list all the programs "locking" a file. Presumably only Outlook would care about Outlprnt, but it might be helpful to rule out other processes.