New Lounger
    Thanks

Form/Checklist (2003 sp3)

Hiya,

I'm trying to create a form , and have so far tried in both Word and Excel - and to be honest, I'm struggling.

What I need, is a multiple choice form, in various sections, that applies a score to each line, depending on the option selected, and then totals up the whole section.

The "answers" to the questions would al bee the same for example, they may be "YES", " PARTIAL", "NO" & "NOT APLLICABLE", with the "yes" scoring 4, "no" scoring 3 etc, and these answers would need to be a check box.

How do I do it - easily?

Many thanks for your help

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form/Checklist (2003 sp3)

Excel would probably be easier since formulas are recalculated automatically.
    Neither program makes it easy to create and handle large numbers of check boxes.
    Instead of using check boxes, I'd let the user enter 1, 2, 3 or 4 for each question, with clear instructions at the top of the page what each option means. This also makes it very easy to use SUM formulas.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I would also recommend Excel. You could provide a drop down list to select your valid text options, and provide the number automatically.

Create a simple table with the options and numbers

<table border=1><td>Yes</td><td>4</td><td>Partial</td><td>3</td><td>No</td><td>2</td></table>

In the attached example, the list of valid responses is in L6:L9, as the named range ValidAnswers
    The table with valid responses and numbers is in L6:M9, as the named range ValidAnswerTable
    The questions are in column A
    C1 has the formula <code>=VLOOKUP(B1,ValidAnswerTable,2,FALSE)</code> and this has been copied down the column
    B1 has a formula that copies C1 if it is valid, and otherwise is a blank string

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

brilliant - thanks for your help guys - not quite as "elegant" as the tick boxes - but it works a treat...

ty