Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    The Land of Pleasant Living, Maryland, USA
    Thanks

'Problem' Closing Outlook (2003 / SP3)

After "years" of working perfectly, Outlook now gives me an "Error" Message (Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.) EVERYTIME I close it.

Strange message that "Outlook .... needs to close" since I just closed it!

It seems to work fine otherwise but having to close the "Don't Send" button is getting annoying.

Anyone have this problem? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 'Problem' Closing Outlook (2003 / SP3)

Try selecting Help | Detect and Repair from within Outlook. You may have to insert your Microsoft Office disk.

It might also be a problem with your .pst file. You can run the Inbox Repair tool to see if that cures the problem.

Another thing you can try is to create a new e-mail profile in the Mail control panel.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If this is a standalone machine, and if you upgraded to Outlook 2003 from an older version, you might want to look under File | Data File Management to determine if the PST uses the old pre-Unicode "Personal Folders File (97-2002)". If it is, see if it is approaching its 2Gb size limit. If so, create a new Personal Folders File which uses Unicode format and move all your data into it, then set the new PST as the default file for delivery of messages.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Thanks for jumping in. This is a standalone machine (home/office) and it is using the "Personal Folders File (97-2002)". I checked the outlook.pst file and it is now 105,169KB so nowhere near the 2GB limit you cite.

Not sure how "to create a new Personal Folder using Unicode" - or if that would help. What do you think?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I ran the "Detect and Repair" option under the HELP menu - but that didn't solve the problem.

Where is the "Inbox Repair Tool" you mention?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The link in my previous reply explains where you can find the inbox repair tool ScanPst.exe.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That PST's certainly not big enough to cause problems. Lets see what the Inbox Repair Tool (aka scanpst.exe) finds .

If you plan to stick with Outlook, the newer Unicode file format has some advantages - a bit more robust and a much larger capacity. You would create a new PST file via File | Data File Management, then set it as the default location for mesage delivery, and copy your folders and items into it - a few hours of one time work.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry I missed the link - just thought it was a highlight (duh!)
    Anyhow, I ran the ScanPst.exe against my outlook.pst file and it did find some errors which it then repaired (or at least it said it did). However, my problem is still here.

Some other info (hope it helps):
    1 - I only use Outlook as an email client (no calendar, etc.)
    2 - If I open Outlook and close it without opening any messages, it closes fine.
    3 - If I open Outlook and just re-open an already read message, then close the message and Outlook - I get the error message after a few seconds.
    4 - I run AVG free anti-virus on my system (have for years) and it has some email checking function - could it be a problem?

Thanks again fot your time trying to figure this out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of AVG do you run? The recently released version 8.0 appears to have a fair share of teething problems. You might try turning off the e-mail scanning part of AVG temporarily to see if the problem disappears.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Anything is possible, but I don't think it's your virus scanner.

Do you have more than 16,000 items in your inbox? If so, move some into subfolders, or Archive them, until you are down under 16,000. ((I'd take it much lower - a large Inbox on a standalone machine seems to slow the opening of Outlook.) Then close and restart Outlook.

If you have customized your message window, you might have a corrupted form, so you could reset/clear the forms cache, as explained in <!mskb=839804>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 839804<!/mskb>, but you will lose all form customizations in Outlook.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I'm running version 8 but turning it off doesn't solve the problem

Still hoping but getting frustrated.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My inbox only has a few (less than 20) items at any one time - I check it constantly and keep it pretty up-to-date.

I haven't customized my message window so I'm sure that's not it.

It's pretty consistant error though. Every time I close Outlook - a few seconds later I get the "Outlook has to close..." box. Everything else seems to work fine.

Frustrating!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Have you tried disabling e-mail scanning in AVG? Have you added or updated any other Outlook add-ins?

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Thanks for jumping in.
    First, I can't seem to figure out how to disable the AVG (V.8) email scanner. I can un-check the box that says "Scan incoming messages" but the Status Overview still shows the Email scanner as ACTIVE.

As to Add-Ons - I didn't add any (didn't know you could) BUT in checking the menu options I found that I had an iTunes add-on. I un-checked it and lo and behold when I shut Outlook - no message!!!

I have my fingers crossed and will keep you all posted but you may have hit on the problem.

I hope! - I hope!

PS - Just before Posting this message I tried once more to open Outlook - look at a message - then close it. This would always produce the error message in the past. Well guess what - NO ERROR MESSAGE!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Looks at though you found the culprit. As JohnBF said, just hope Apple fixes it soon. BTW, in AVG if you un-check the disable 'scan incoming messages' it won't do anything in Outlook. AVG may still say the scanner is active but it is not scanning anything (unless you have another e-mail program configured).

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast