3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ACER Recovery? (XP & MediaCenter 2005)

Hi,

Maybe anyone who has an ACER system can help here as I understand it isnít just MediaCenter machines (mineís an L250) that ACER configure in this way.

I inherited the above machine and, as is my wont, cleaned it up (deleted a number of programs) ... some MediaCenter functionality doesnít work anymore ... maybe it never did but itís more likely I killed it. Anyway, a friend told me that there was a partition for recovery so, checking the Disk Management MMC, I found an HP/ Compaq style hidden partition called PQSERVICE. I looked this up on the net and (at 3Gb) it appears some kind of restore but I could find no guidance on how to use it ... I gather the *usual* ALT+F10 ACER system is no longer available so there must be some other way to boot from this partition OR perhaps it is used to create a bootable DVD?

Looking in the partition it has a whole load of system files (MSDOS.SYS, IO.SYS, AUTOEXEC.BAT and so on) so it undoubtedly is capable of booting but I used Hiren's BOOT CD (which is how I made the partition visible) to alter the boot type with no luck (the partition wonít boot). There's a suggestion of changing something in the BIOS too but I can't find that. Possibly if I can image this partition to DVD it might be bootable and from that I could recreate the system, or there might be some other way to boot the partition on its own. Failing that maybe thereís a way of creating an ISO image and from that a bootable DVD?

Does anyone have any information on how to use such restore partitions?

A final option is to just rebuild using XP & MC 2005 ... I have no media but Iíve downloaded a copy (P2P) and I have a valid product code so I assume that is legal.

Kyu

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ACER Recovery? (XP & MediaCenter 2005)

For anyone interested, I have found some stuff which gives guidance as to how to recover the CD's/DVD so I will try that tonight and then do a full wipe & rebuild

Kyu

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ACER Recovery? (XP & MediaCenter 2005)

Hi,

Just to let you know that I successfully recovered the Acer Partition ... in essence it was easy (once I knew how), you just ran the Acer recovery utility and it then went ahead and burned 1 DVD or 5 CD's (DVD failed so I did the latter) and from those (which were essentially a multi-disk ghost image I rebuilt the system.

In my defence not only did I not know the full potential of this aspect (it does quite a few other things and I found the information largely by chance) of the Acer Recovery system but the warnings it gave of destroying the system partition rather disinclined me from continuing.

Kyu