3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

folder options (vista)

I am helping a friend with vista and need some assistance. On xp under folder options, one can specify the program to asociate with a .jpg file - i can't seem to do this in vista.

Is there a way to show thumbnails of jpegs in a folder of pictures? She wants to see a thumbnail for all of the photos when she clicks on the folder. Maybe it can't be done, but is it is possible, how do you do it with vista?

Thanks

Tom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: folder options (vista)

Not as bad as Hans said. In Windows Explorer, right-click on a JPG file and choose Open With. In that window, select Choose Default Program. In the next indow, choose Browse. This is where your "hard work" comes in because you've got to drill around to get to the .EXE file that you want to be the default for this file type. When you've found it, click on it and select Open. It will now appear in the Open With window, hopefully already highllighted. Here's the critical part: Put a check in the box that says "Always use..." and click OK. You should now have what you remember from XP days. (I hope)

Thanks

In addition to Al's solution, you can also simply click on the Start orb and select Default Programs. You can then "Associate a file type or protocol with a program". The "Default Programs" utility is also accessible from the Control Panel (Classic View).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

"Vista doesn't let you associate a program with an extension - you need to edit the registry for that"
    How about Start>Default Programs>Associate a file type or protocol with a program?
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, my remark was incorrect. I was thinking of the Advanced option in XP where you can edit, add or remove custom actions (not just open).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to remove incorrect remark - thanks to Bigaldoc and Rebel for pointing out my error

To show thumbnails:
    - In the Organize tab (in Windows Explorer), click Folder and Search Options.
    - Clear the check box "Always show icons, not thumbnails".
    - Click OK.
    - Click Views and select a view other than List or Details.

Thanks

Yes, the Advanced option was very useful at times. I don't suppose the majority of people used this option, but it certainly came in handy on occasion.
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thank you to everyone - I will attempt to implement your suggestions this weekend

Tom

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You might work from the other end and install or specify an existing program that you know will be suitable for viewing and organizing such files.

Windows Photo Gallery is a native Vista program, although whether all versions have it or not I don't know. Picasa, from Google, is one I use personally and it is free of charge, but there are numerous others, often as part of a suite of software that you may already have (such as Nero or Roxio), or software that is bundled with digital cameras or videocams.

There is no shortage of programs, but picking one that suits your needs or style and price and whether or not you already have it installed may affect your choice. It might be helpful for others to offer comparisons from their own experience. For something like three hundred bucks you can get a photo-sorting program from Adobe, but that's a bit rich for my blood at present.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I should have given you a few links and explanations, if you are interested. These are all free.

IRFANVIEW is ancient but has been kept up to date, including Vista, and it has every file association in the book. It is one of the most downloaded free programs available. It can be very useful, but don't expect spectacular images.

PAINT.NET is the freeware application that is at the top of the heap if you want to edit individual images (photographs). I wouldn't associate a filetype with it, however, as you may have large numbers of files that require sorting before you select which image you want to work on.

PICASA is excellent for organizing a large number of images, and it will allow you to perform some editing of the images themselves, as well as make up slideshows and that sort of thing. This is definitely something to associate filetypes with if you are transferring images or trying to organize them.

Adobe Lightroom is the $300 competition that I couldn't resist mentioning (and there will be customers for it among readers here).