4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG 8.0 - Sits on _DEFAULT_.PIF file

Hi

I have found that running AVG 8.0 seems to just SIT there forever on _DEFAULT_.PIF file. I can pause or cancel the scan. Has anybody seen this and is there anythnig that can be done to fix this please? Also, is the _DEFAULT_.pif useful - it is under window folder. BTW: I am running XP if that is of nay use.

I might say that SVG 8.0 is not exactly great update - version 7.xx was miles better & no issues like this. :-(.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AVG 8.0 - Sits on _DEFAULT_.PIF file

First of all, I don't run Avg so I can't help with the problems you and others have been having. But, just to check this out, I searched my XP MCE drive for *.pif and Explorer only came up with one hit. It's in the Windows folder but when I look at its properties, the Program folder shows a couple of boxes with autoexec.bat and config.sys (they may have said .nt) AND Explorer shows NO PIF extension for the file, even though that's what I searched on. Strange.

The reason I looked was I would think you could rename the file temporarily to see what Avg does and if anything happens on your system. I can't imagine that file being of super-importance. You could also copy it somewhere for backup too.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On second thought, look what they say here: File Extension .PIF Details
    <hr>A Program Information File dates back to the early versions of Windows. Basically, it's an information file that when you click on it the information in the file is used by Windows to run some program; including code that can be in the PIF file. It is a potentially dangerous file type and one should never click on one received via E-mail without extensive knowledge of exactly what it will do first. Note: This file type can become infected and should be carefully scanned if someone sends you a file with this extension <hr>

(my bolding)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I haven't had a chance to check it out but from memory the _DEFAULT_.PIf file is something to do with shortcut to MSDOS. I don't see why I need shortcut to MSDOS but hey who am I to question Microsoft.

I will rename it and run AVG again to see what happens. This particular file also lives on my desktop (same place) but AVG does not fall over when running on Desktop - strange. Again, I will experiment and see where I get to.

Thanks for your responses.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Googling will find lots of explanations like this sample:
    <hr>Short for Program InFormation file, a type of file that holds information about how Windows should run a non-Windows application. For example, a PIF file can contain instructions for executing a DOS application in the Windows environment. These instructions can include the amount of memory to use, the path to the executable file, and what type of window to use. PIF files have a .pif extension .<hr>
    I suppose one could say it's still around just in case some "older" level of software has a need. If memory serves, the "default.pif" was kinda like a sample or master but even the current day version on my drive is EMPTY.

It makes me nervous that you've got one on your desktop too, like maybe Avg missed a "bad guy" or something. OR, you could be running a software app that did some messing around that's causing this. Hopefully, you'll come across something...

Thanks

I have a similar file in my Windows folder. If I open it with Notepad I see what's shown below. You could look at yours that way too.

I also found some information about this file here . (Wilson WindowWare Tech Support is not related to me in any way.)

I don't know why the file appears to have no extension, but when you search for *.PIF it does come up in the search.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Wilson WindowWare Tech Support is not related to me in any way <hr>
    Oh boy, that brings back a few memories! WinBatch was a wonderful, albeit pricey, program and I bought it back before I knew about at least one free one that is just as good.