Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't display Address Book (2003 SP3)

First check out <!post=JScher2000's Star Post,334,705>JScher2000's Star Post<!/post>. If that doesn't work, or you still have the "ghost" contacts list, see the later parts of the same thread after that post.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't display Address Book (2003 SP3)

Edited by HansV to correct post tag (there was a space in it)

I've done a search and found several possible solutions, including <post#=718387>post 718387</post#> . I'm not sure whether to replace the Address Book or use the Inbox Repair Tool.
    Here's my problem. When I click on the Address Book I get the msg "Address list could not be displayed". When I click OK a blank Address Book appears. When I click on the down arrow in Show Names from the: dialog, it shows two Contacts folders. Clicking on the second displays the correct Address Book. However, I can't find a way to "keep" this address book. I can see it, but I can't use it. I do vaguely remember a long ago post about choosing the correct Contacts folder, but can't find it.
    HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reference. By playing around with Tools/Options/Addressing dialog boxes I managed to select the correct Contacts and restore the correct Address Book. I would like to get rid of the bogus Contacts without screwing things up. Does the Remove button remove the highlighted folder or just its presence in the list of folders under "When sending mail..."?
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Remove button in the Tools | Address Book > Tools | Options dialog only removes the selected folder from the "When sending mail..." list, it does not remove the folder itself.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Great, it's gone. Should I try to remove the bogus Contacts folder by going to Email accounts/View or change ... or existing address books/Change/Remove Address Book? Is the Contacts folder that's highlighted the active (correct) folder or is the first folder always highlighted? Of course I'll back up my pst file first. Or, should I just leave well enough alone?
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Where exactly are you still seeing a bogus Contacts folder?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Email Accounts as described in my last post
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can select an item in the list and click Change... to see which folder it corresponds to.
    You can then remove the one you don't want. If you remove the wrong one by accident, you can always add it again.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's interesting. There is now only one Contacts folder showing, so the bogus one may have disappeared after the last restart of OL.
    I'm confused by your last comment: "if you remove the wrong one... you can always add it again." Exactly what does Remove do? And where is the add button?
    HH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I wouldn't worry about it, now that it appears to have been solved.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. Glad to close this thread.
    HH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it's not solved. After a month of good behavior Outlook has lost the Address Book again. Please explain the mechanics of the Address book. Is it created from the Contacts folder or is it a stand-alone object. You previously mentioned that "If you delete the wrong one, Outlook will recreate it". How? I am about to create a new Outlook.pst file by importing from the old one but I'd like to clean up the old one as much as possible first.
    HH

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Past Outlook versions supported a separate address book file, but from the discussion history in this thread it seems certain that your Address book is coming from your Contacts Folder. As I think you know, the Contacts Folder is a folder within your physical PST file. It's probably a good idea to migrate your PST, it may very well help with the problem. Then come back to this thread and its Star Post link to get your settings straight, and while you are at it, after first noting the present settings, recreate your profile under Control Panel | Mail.

If the problem persists, it could be a number of things. A corrupt Contact can mess you up, I have had just one in about 11 years of using Outlook, but it caused me some problems, and you cannot easily tell which Contact is the problem. If that is the case, the cleanup approach is to back up your Contacts to a separate PST, then export all Contacts to a CSV, empty the Contacts folder, and reimport the Contacts from the CSV. If that's not it, not sure what else it could be that is causing the problem.
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the explanation. I agree that the Address Book (AB) must be coming from the Contacts Folder. If you attempt to do an Import, there is no option to import the AB. Before I migrate to a new pst file I would like to clarify the relationship between the various drop down lists in the AB itself and the Tools/AB/Tools/Options. In the AB itself, The Show Names from the: list often has two or more Contacts folders listed. Clicking on the wrong one produces an error msg. Clicking on the correct one brings back the AB. There is no way, in that dialog, to erase the bogus Contacts. Moving to the Tools/Options/Addressing Dialog, the Show this address list first: also has several Contacts folders. After trial-and-error finds the correct one there is still no way to remove the bogus one. Choosing the correct on here insures that the Show Names drop down list in the AB itself displays the correct Contacts.
    Finally, the Remove button in the When sending mail... list only applies to that list, not to any of the lists above it. Reiterating, how do I eliminate the bogus Contacts in the other lists? I want to know if there is a solution short of importing everything to a new pst file because I fear this may happen in the future with my new pst file.
    Sorry to be so long-winded, but this has been a frustrating exercise..
    HH

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I understand your frustration. Did you go to Jefferson's star post mentioned earlier in this thread and attempt the advice I gave in the later parts of the thread on more complex ways to remove bogus Contacts Folders?
    UTC -7ąDS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast