2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

wireless printer

I have just bought a new laptop which has Windows Vista. It connects to my wireless network fine, but does not 'see' my Lexmark wireless printer. This is working on our other laptop which runs on Windows XP. None of the Troublehooting options seem to be of any help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: wireless printer

Here are a couple of troubleshooting suggestions that may help you get started:
    <UL><LI>Can you temporarily turn off the your firewall and see if that enables you to connect to the printer. If so then you have a firewall configuration problem. Turn the firewall back on and see if you can work out how to configure it correctly.
    <LI>Try serving the printer from another PC and then connecting to the shared printer. This will make sure that you have the correct drivers loaded, and will also test network connectivity to your home network. If this doesn't work then try following the instructions in Troubleshooting file shares on a home network.[/list]StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for this.

I have tried both of these.

Neither made any difference - the Vista Laptop did not detect the printer either without the firewall or with the printer connected via USB to the other laptop.

I forgot to say that the Vista laptop does drive the printer when it is connected by a USB cable so the printer driver is OK.

I also tried to connect using the IP address of the printer - what happened with this was that the Vista laptop thought it was connected. When I asked it to print a test page, it thought is was doing so - gave a 'Printing screen' and 'Printing complete' but nothing happened at the printer.

I haven't checked the network yet, but given that the Vista computer connects to the internet via the wireless router, and the other laptop prints wirelessly, is it likely that there is a problem with this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> the Vista Laptop did not detect the printer either without the firewall or with the printer connected via USB to the other laptop

In this case it is probably not a printer problem, it is a problem accessing network shares.

Try following the instructions in <post:=589,883>post 589,883</post:> and let us know what happens.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It has now started working - I have no idea what I did different if anything, but there you go. Thanks anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know. If you ever find out what happened then please post again so we can all learn from your experience.

StuartR