New Lounger
    Thanks

Crystal reports with Project (2003 (SP3) and Crystal XI)

I'm looking for a solution to roll out information I create in Project to multiple users... our company is reluctant - to say the least - to install any software at all, so trying to get them to install project viewers is proving frustrating.. so, as most users already have either crystal, or a crystal viewer, I want to use that to allow them to get hold of data...

But can I connect them? despite hours trawling through this site - and google - nothing seems to work...

any clues?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Crystal reports with Project (2003 (SP3) and Crystal XI)

I have neither Project nor Crystal Reports, so I can't offer detailed help.

A Project file is basically an Access database, so it should be possible to connect to a Project file from Crystal Reports. Search for projdb.htm or projoledb.htm in the program files folder for Project.

Perhaps Creating a Task Summary Crystal Report from Microsoft Project Server helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Thanks Hans,

I'd already looked at that one (and this one) but neither help...

With your link Hans, I'm not running project server - which is making everything just that little bit harder....

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope that someone who has Project and/or Crystal Reports will be able to help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have tried over the years to use many different products for viewing project files. What I have finally settled on is converting to text the reports using a Microsoft download called Cute Writer, and using screen captures for the graphs and charts into .pdf. I have also used a product called Ghost Script/Ghost View to make readable files from Porject.

Carla

Thanks

I am not sure you can connect directly to project but should be able to save your project to a project database and connect to that. The issue will then be you are able to access the tables but how to get useful information out of it. There is typically a white paper available that reviews project and the table structure so you can get or use a query to derive useful information and use that as the data source. If you go this route, the tables that I have found to be most useful are MSP_TASKS and MSP_TEXT_FIELDS.

Another option would be to run or create an export map to export data to a .csv file or other format readible by crystal to use as the data source. This is a little easier.

What data are you trying to access?
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)