New Lounger
    Thanks

Vista File Renaming (Vista Ultimate)

In XP if I had a group of files/pictures that I wanted to group together in a specific order I could move them into the order I wanted, select all, then rename the first file and add (1). XP automatically renamed the rest of the files in the order I wanted. eg, 20080715 (1), 20080715 (2), 20080715 (3) etc.
    This does work with Vista but sometimes it renames the files out of order. It also doesn't like it if you try to order the files from a number other than (1)!
    I can get around this by individually renaming the files but obviously with a large group this takes time and life is short!
    Have I missed an option or folder setting?
    Look Forward to any thoughts on this.

Thanks

Re: Vista File Renaming (Vista Ultimate)

>> I can get around this by individually renaming the files but obviously with a large group this takes time and life is short!..

There may be a re-naming solution to be found in the thread beginning with <post:=682,332>post 682,332</post:> if you don't find another workaround.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,
    Thanks for the link. A couple of the programmes listed are useful.
    I was wondering though why a very useful and basic facility of XP (that I have made use of for years), has some glitches that I havn't come across in Vista.
    Surely they havn't removed any functionality?
    This only leaves me to assume that there is an option or setting for folders/files that I have omitted?

Thanks

Steve,
    Below is the standard Vista Ultimate answer to renaming files.
    You mention that SOMETIMES Vista renames out of order? Are you using a different numbering scheme when it works or doesn't work?
    Do you always use the parenthesis and have you tried without them?

I haven't tried any of the suggested renumbering utilities, so I'm just talking about Vista here.
    -----------------------------
    Tip
    You can also rename several files at once. If you give files of the same type the same name, each file will have the same name followed by a different sequential number (such as Renamed File (2), Renamed File (3), and so on). This can be useful for grouping related items. To do this, select all the files you want to rename, and then follow the same steps as you would for renaming an individual file. Each of the files will be saved with the new name, and a different sequential number will be appended automatically to the end of each file name.

----------------------------
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,
    Your tip is the way I renamed groups of files on XP all the time. I still use this on vista but have noticed a difference (unless I'm just getting old)!
    For instance, after downloading a set of photos from my digital camera to a "downloads folder" I wish to add some to a certain group in my pictures folder.
    The group in my pictures folder are named 20080715 (1), 20080715 (2), 20080715 (3), 20080715 (4).
    I select the photos from the downloads folder and rename the first picture 20080715 (5) expecting the other photos to continue this naming convention so that I can then drag them across into my pictures folder where they will join in with the rest of the photos in this group.
    This was never a problem in XP, but Vista will name the first picture as I describe 20080715 (5), and then continue the naming convention as follows 20080715 (2), 20080715 (3), 20080715 (4), 20080715 (6), 20080715 (7).
    As I said this isn't a major issue as I can get round it in a number of ways, but I just wondered if I was missing something and if not why the change?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

I don't know what will happen so make a new folder and try this: copy the 20080715(1), (2), (3), & (4) files there. Then copy the files from the download folder to the new folder. Try the rename starting with (5).

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe,
    That is another way to work around the issue.