selfcert error (Office 2000 SR-1)

One of my systems ate its Registry yesterday -- it's done this before (shutdown hangs, and on restart, it says it didn't like the Registry and is restoring from an older copy -- a VERY old copy). While I'd love to figure out why that happened, I suspect there's no way to do so (and yes, I did close all programs before starting the shutdown!)

My immediate problem is that after reinstalling Office, selfcert.exe no longer works: it prompts for a name, then says "Could not create digital signature" (or is that "digital certificate"? I'm at work, this was at home; if it matters I can try it again tonight).

Anyone have any ideas? If I had to guess, I'd say either it wants a directory that doesn't exist (yes, I did take this opportunity to move Office from C: to D: -- perhaps that was the mistake), or else it's finding some file already existing that it shouldn't.

Failing any suggestions, I think I'll deinstall all of Office and reinstall. Perhaps that'll help...

Re: selfcert error (Office 2000 SR-1)

Found the answer (sort of) -- reinstalling IE 5.5 (it had backleveled itself to 5.0) cured it. "Go figure"...