2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drawing Pictures (2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 17-Jul-08 15:56. to reduce size of attachment by cropping unnecessary white space.)</P>Hi,

I am producing a spreadsheet which is to be used as a template for some of our staff to record information. One piece of information would be in an organigram or a similar diagram showing relationships between entities. I would like the template users to be able to draw such a chart using the "Drawing" toolbar, or alternatively to paste in / attach a diagram developed in another application. In this case, the drawing should be viewable and should not be an embedded object represented by an icon.

I would like this to look like the attached image i.e. a "canvas" where people can insert/draw their diagram. The only way I can find so far of doing this is by using an embedded blank bitmap object (Paint.Picture), onto which people can paste a diagram. I can't seem to fix this in position without locking the whole sheet, which renders it useless. It also isn't very easy to use.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I could implement such a canvas, to allow people to past, attach, embed or draw their diagram in the spreadsheet?

cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (45.8 KB, 2 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drawing Pictures (2003)

Hi there

Do you have Visio installed on any of the workstations?
    Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

some have visio, some do not..

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again

I was just think that you could use a combination of Excal and Visio top create structure charts. I did a similar exercise some years back in which I used Excel as a flat file database to feed into Visio to create structure charts.
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why do you need a "canvas"? Can't you just set a rectangular block of cells to have white fill color, no borders? Users can place drawing objects, paste diagrams etc. on this area.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

thanks for the reply. I guess the thought behind the "canvas" rather than just filling some cells in white, was because I wanted to try to bound the area in which the image could be pasted, in the hope that the pasted image could be automatically scaled to fit in the area. I didn't want the case where I prepare a white area in which the image can to be pasted, only for the pasted image to blast across the rest of the sheet because it is too big.

For example, if I use a bitmap object, I can right click, select edit, past in the image then close the object and it will be automatically scaled to fit into the shape of the object in the worksheet.