5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Service Pack 3 (2002/SR2)

Terminology Confusion:

Woody has said “Word 2002 Service Pack 3 (that's the version of Word in Office XP.”

I am running Win XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 2. (Word 2002)

Under Microsoft Office Programs, I have Office and Office 10.

Question: what does “that’s the version of Word in Office XP” mean?

Does it mean because I didn't download SP 3 my info is still showing as SP2? If I were to download it, would that info be reflected in my System Properties' General tab?

Thank you.

Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Service Pack 3 (2002/SR2)

Windows XP is the operating system of your computer.

Microsoft Office is a suite of applications such as Word, Excel and Outlook. The version of Microsoft Office is not necessarily the same as that of Windows.
    Each version of Microsoft Office has two "names": an internal name such as Office 9 or Office 10, and an "official" name such as Office 2000 or Office XP:

<table border=1><td>Internal</td><td>Official</td><td align=right>8.0</td><td align=right>97</td><td align=right>9.0</td><td align=right>2000</td><td align=right>10.0</td><td>XP but also 2002</td><td align=right>11.0</td><td align=right>2003</td><td align=right>12.0</td><td align=right>2007</td></table>
    Version 10 is a bit strange: the name of the entire suite is Office XP, but the individual programs are named Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002 etc. So Word 2002 is the version of Word in Office XP.

The most recent update to Office XP is SP3 (Service Pack 3). If you go to Microsoft Update, you can install SP3. This will be reflected in the Help | About window from within the Office applications.

The General tab in System Properties shows your version of Windows. This is independent of the version of Office.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Service Pack 3 (2002/SR2)

As always, Hans, my thanks for our response -- and your patience....

Acer