5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Number Format (Word 2003 SP3)

Since Word 97 I've successfully used VBA to overcome the 30 character limit of the NumberFormat field in the Customize Outline Numbered List. For level 2 of an Interrogatory, I've typically used the following:

"Response to Interrogatory Number %1%2"

VBA has always allowed us to achieve the required wording.

After applying SP3 to Office 2003, we are finding that the number format text is truncated after 30 characters... effectively the same limit as with the interactive dialog. One group of users still has SP2 and there is no problem, so we can readily see that SP3 is the culprit. The problem appears to be VBA, not what the document will allow. I can successfully use the Organizer to copy styles from an older document. The text is not truncated. That's fine if we have an old document with the required wording. Sometimes the wording must be changed; even a change to the formatting (font attribute, text wrap, etc.) causes the text to truncate simply because the Customize dialog is accessed.

Has anyone experienced this problem? Is there a known solution? This is a considerable headache for law firms.

Thanks,
    Richard Barrett

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Number Format (Word 2003 SP3)

I can confirm that the problem occurs in Word 2003 SP3. I haven't been able to find anything about it in Google or the newsgroups. I don't think there is a solution or workaround other than using an older version of Word to edit the outline numbering...

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

I suppose that's what happens when you rely on undocumented/unsupported solutions - eventually they might be closed off.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for confirming this. I have approached this from every angle I can think of, and the limitation of 30 characters seems to prevail.

Paul (Macropod) suggested that this was an undocumented/unsupported feature. Do both of you really think it falls into that category? It was necessary to use VBA to achieve this, but many aspects of ListTemplates require VBA.

Word 2007 still works well with the longer text with VBA, but I suppose that may not last.

Richard