Lounger
    Thanks

Sound File Format for CD Player

Hi, I have an older personal CD player (not MP3 compatilble) and am wondering if I can format cds on my computer to play on it. I have some midi and wav sound files I'd like to convert for this. Will it work and what file format would I use? I have a sound file converter program on my computer. Hope someone can advise. Thanks a lot.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Sound File Format for CD Player

What program are you using? Windows Media Player will burn a CD that is compatible with CD players.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A little info please, Pappy. What CD burning software do you have and what is the name of the sound file converter program?

"Regular" CD music files are .CDA but for many burner programs you only have to tell it that you want to make a "music disc" and that will take care of it. I don't know about the .MID or .WAV yet however.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for writing Al and Joe. I'm using a freeware called Switch Sound to convert sound files but it doesn't do CDA format. I'm using software that came with my pc for burning disks and I do have Windows Media Player. It also came with ImgBurn and Toshiba Disk Creator. Any more ideas? If not, I'll just put some songs on a disk with Windows Media Player and see if it works with my cd player. Thanks a lot! Someday I need to break down and buy me an MP3 player, huh?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Usually YOU don't do any converting to the CDA format, the program doing the burning will do that. So all that's needed is for THAT program to recognize your INPUT files. As I said, I've not done MID or WAV files before so give it a shot. Failing all else you can see if your converter program will convert the MID and WAV files to MP3 and that would certainly do the trick.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Not all burners handle MIDI format, and Switch Free edition only converts MIDI 1.0 specification, so you may want to test your MIDIs first.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS