New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't change data type using Excel import wizard (2000)

I used to be able to change the data type of each field when importing a spreadsheet into Access 97. When I do it in (using import wizard) Access 2000, the data type pull down is GRAYED OUT. Unfortunately, an important column of the spreadsheet contains both text and numbers, and access has assigned it a 'double' as it's data type and I loose all the text records. I read one microsoft link that says this was fixed in office 2007, but I remember doing this a long time ago (as I said, with 97 I think).

Thanks for any & all replies- Ralph

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't change data type using Excel import wizard (2000)

Yes, this worked correctly in Access 97, then it was messed up in later versions. You can try the following:
    - Import the Excel worksheet.
    - Delete all records from the imported table.
    - Open the imported table in design view.
    - Change the data type of the fields that have been imported incorrectly.
    - Close and save the table.
    - Import the worksheet again, but this time select the option to import into an existing table, and select the modified empty table as target.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't change data type using Excel import wizard (2000)

Hi Hans, Thanks for your reply.

I got an error message importing into the empty table (after changing to the needed data type). I did find a way around it. Access looks at the first 25 records to determine data type (my text records were well down the list, which is why it called it a double). I inserted a dummy record into the first record of the spreadsheet. I put in a text value into the problem field and access finally give it a text format. I wish access would just format everything as text (& let you go back & change numbers/ dates ect). It would eliminate most import errors. Or better, restore the DT dropdown that works in 97...