New Lounger
    Thanks

Convert all styles to direct formatting (2003 SP2)

I am trying to merge a bunch of documents together via the Insert File command, or the Outlining feature. As I do this, I find the styles of the master document override the styles contained in the sub-documents, as described in KB 212065. This "feature" is a pain. I want to keep my original formatting within all documents.

Is there a way to convert the styles within the document to direct formatting?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Convert all styles to direct formatting (2003

I don't know of a simple way to do this in Word 2003 although there is a Word 2007 Option that allows you to retain the source formatting.

In the past where this question has been asked, the suggested solutions were:
    1. Print all docs to PDF and merge them as an Acrobat File instead. This will help solve the header/footer/page setup issue that you will also encounter. Perhaps round-tripping via Acrobat is a possibility if you need the result in Word.
    2. Convert all the stylenames in the source document to unique names (ones that don't already exist in the target document) before copying. This is easy enough with custom defined styles but not so easy with built-in styles.
    3. Suck it up - the feature is in there to help make your documents more consistent and the value of this cannot be under-estimated.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Convert all styles to direct formatting (2003 SP2)

Hi Dan,

That's the way it's supposed to work. You have two options
    - rename the styles in the source documents with names not found in the target document; or
    - create an intermediate set of documents (with the same Style definitions as your source documents) to link to your source documents and link your target document to the intermediate documents, applying the ! switch to the INCLUDETEXT fields.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

How do you do the second option? I do not see the option to apply a "!" switch.

Can you do that via "VBA"?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Insert | Field... to insert an IncludeText field, there's a check box in the upper right corner of the Field dialog labeled "Prevent fields from being updated". Ticking this check box adds the ! switch.

You can add the switch afterwards too:
    - Click in the inserted document.
    - Press Shift+F9 to display the field code.
    - You'll see something like { INCLUDETEXT "C:WordMyDoc.doc" }
    - Insert the switch ! before the closing brace }
    - Press Shift+F9 to hide the field code.