2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

files not autorecovered (2003 SP3)

My friend (really!) was working on a document and was called away from her desk - did not save or close Word. When she returned a couple hours later, she reopened Word expecting to see the document recovery task pane on the left edge of the screen but no luck. The Save tab in the Options box are at the defaults - save Autorecover info every 10 min. We looked under File Recovery in Help and looked at all File Types in the Word folder in her Application Data as directed but there are no autorecovered documents there. Also, when we look in the C drive in her My Recent document folder, the file is there with a ~ in front of the file name but that document is blank save for a few boxes and her network username. Is this gone forever?
    THanks much - Nancy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: files not autorecovered (2003 SP3)

What happened with Word while she was away? AutoRecovery is intended for when Word crashes, it won't be activated if Word is closed normally then reopened.

The AutoRecovery version of a document is a file named something like "AutoRecovery save of DocumentName.asd", and it is stored in the AutoRecovery location specified in the File Locations tab of Tools | Options; the default under Windows XP is Cocuments and SettingsApplication Data<username>MicrosoftWord.
    Application Data is a hidden folder, so you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer in order to see it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: files not autorecovered (2003 SP3)

I'm not sure what happened but I'm sure that is the problem - that it was closed normally.
    Thanks much