Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Workbook Creates Phantom Copy (2003 Sp3)

I have a workbook on a network server. I was going to say that the workbook is a shared workbook, but it IS NOT. The network folder is shared among certain users, but the workbook itself is not.

I notice that after some people work in the file and save their changes, another copy of the file is created and saved. However, the saved file is named something like 06030100. There is no file extension, however, if I click on the file in Windows Explorer, it will open in Excel. I wonder if this has something to do with auto save parameters, perhaps. The odd part seems to be that whenever I open it and save it, there is no phantom copy created--I created the original file. But if another user does, the phantom file is created. Any ideas on what may be happening here and perhaps how to stop it. Obviously, we start getting lots of excess file copies and filling up server space unexpectedly.

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Workbook Creates Phantom Copy (2003 Sp3)

Make sure that the users have full permissions on the shared folder (read/write/create/delete).
    When Excel saves a workbook, it actually creates a copy with a name such as 06030100, then deletes the original workbook and renames the new one to the original name. If the user has permission to create a new file but not to delete existing ones, Excel cannot delete the original workbook and rename the new one, so you end up with a spurious copy.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Workbook Creates Phantom Copy (2003 Sp3)

Ahhhhh! Yes! That explains it. Just couldn't figure it out. Thanks so much for the reply. It is interesting that is folders that have full access, and you have an excel file open, you don't seem to see these "copies."

Thanks again!