Thanks

Trouble in Paradise 3.0.1 (FF 3.0.1)

I downloaded FF 3 when it first came out and have been using it as my default browser with no problems. I have an interesting issue with the update to version 3.0.1, however.

With the browser open, I usually check for email using the GetMail Plus 3.2 extension. This will launch a Thunderbird (2.0.0.14) window overlaying the browser window. Any links I follow in an email are opened in a new browser window. So far, so good. In FF3 (and all previous versions) this new browser window had the focus and was the topmost window on the screen.

With FF 3.0.1 however, the new browser window opens UNDER the Thunderbird window and its taskbar button is flashing. I find this behavior very annoying as it disrupts my normal workflow.

Is this a bug that should be reported to Mozilla and if so, how? Or is this a soon-to-be-discovered new feature of Firefox?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Trouble in Paradise 3.0.1 (FF 3.0.1)

Paul, is it possible that one or more of your Fx Options, under Tabs, has "accidently" gotten changed in the process of updating? I had it happen not too long ago, but not at 3.0.1 - seems to me mine was at 3.0 time. Changing the option to "open immediately" has fixed it for me. As a double check, I just tried an email received a few minutes ago and the new tab came up, with focus.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Followed up on your suggestion, Al, and while my options are different from yours, they haven't changed from 3 to 3.0.1. I will check all options, however. Maybe something else changed. In any event, you appear to be talking tabs while I'm talking windows. Thunderbird has always opened a new FF window when I follow a link. BTW, if I have no FF window open when I follow an email link, FF opens a new window, with focus, that overlays the Thunderbird window... just like I want.

It's not quite clear to me what your experiment entailed. Presumably you had a FF window open and an email client window open also. Did the email client window overlay the FF window? When you followed an email link, did FF come to the fore (get focus) and open the link in a new tab in the original FF window?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Aha, I wonder if we have a TB problem here rather than a Fx one? But before we get to that...
    <hr>When you followed an email link, did FF come to the fore (get focus) and open the link in a new tab in the original FF window? <hr>
    Yes to that AND I also use Thunderbird for my email. That's what made me say maybe there's a problem with TB settings. Let me go check mine and get back to you.

Thanks

Al, I tried it your way (tabs instead of windows) and it does indeed work. Unfortunately, it still leaves me with the same work flow issue that I am trying to resolve. I see there is an update for TB, so I'll apply that before pursuing this any further.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure I understand what the "work flow issue" is, Paul. If you're in TB, reading an email that has a hotlink in it, click the link and Windows switches to Firefox in a new tab that is visible and has the focus, what's the problem?

The reason I ask is that I have been through EVERY setting screen in Thunderbird and I don't see anyplace that says what it's supposed to do with a hotlink. I am honestly stumped at what makes TB smart enough to open that link in the default browser. I think it must be something in the CONFIG: area in which I'm out of my league.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

I was initially going to agree with you, Al, that this wasn't so much a problem as an annoyance. But if this is not an outright bug, it's at best a regression. When you issue a x.x.1 update, it's to fix usability and/or security issues, not to release new features nor introduce usability changes.

Let me explain my "work flow" issue using the CNET News.com Afternoon Dispatch email as an example. This is a daily summary of technology news stories with links to the full articles.

With Thunderbird and FF3.0.0 (and earlier releases) I could deal with email links in the following manner:

1: Open CNET email. (I would usually have a FF window open.)
    2: Click on a link of interest to open the article in a new FF window. (1 click)
    3: When finished with article, close FF window. (1 click)

Repeat 2 and 3 for every story of interest. It takes me only two mouse clicks and I'm done.

Same scenario, but with FF 3.0.1:

1: Open CNET email. (I would usually have a FF window open.)
    2: Click on a link of interest to open the article in a new FF window. (1 click)
    3: New FF window opens under email window: click on taskbar button to bring it to top of desktop. (1 click)
    4: When finished with article, close FF window. (1 click)

Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for each link.
    Result: 3 clicks per story (or put another way, 50% more work!).

Same scenario with FF 3.0.1 but opening the articles in a new tab as per your suggestion:

1: Open CNET email. (FF window open.)
    2: Click on a link of interest to open the article in a new tab. (1 click)
    3: When finished with article, close tab. (1 click)
    4: Click taskbar button to get to email window. (1 click)

Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 for each link.
    Result: 3 clicks per story.

That one extra click per link may not sound like much but I find it very annoying. Like some congressman once said, "A billion dollars here, a billion dollars there... Pretty soon it starts to add up to some real money."

In any event, I've gone back to version 3.0.0 until they fix this bug.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB