3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Insomnia! (XP 2)

I'm not sure whether I need a sleep clinic or one of you? My computer will no longer stay asleep. I have the Power Saving set to 3 hours, then sleep. And when I leave the computer to go out or at night, I hit Start Button, then the little Power Icon which in the past put it to sleep. I goes to sleep, then awakens in a few minutes. I had thought perhaps having other programs open might be doing this (for example, an Auto-Save in Word, or e-mail retrieval in Outlook--but the problem continues even when I close these.) I believe this began after installing two Windows optional updates, but I can't remember what they were, and in Vista, I can't see the old restore calendar which used to appear with XP--so I can't refresh my mind what they were. Any thoughts? The "sleep" does not stay whether it's initiated by the icon, or by the 3 hour wait.

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Insomnia! (XP 2)

Desktop or laptop? You've probably got something that is scheduled to run which is allowed to wake the machine - an automatic update, a backup, etc.

To see installed updates go to Control Panel | Uninstall a Program. In the left pane click on 'View installed udpates'. You can click on the 'Installed on' column header to sort by date.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop. Except for the Windows updates, the most recent update was an Intel Network driver, which I"ve rolled back. We'll see if this works, and I'll report back. Of course it could be a windows update, but....? Thanks

kdoc

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Try using Task Manager to see what processes are running when the machine wakes up.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I had a similar problem a short while ago. Turned out it was the network adapter that was bringing the computer out of sleep mode. Check your network adapter properties in Device Manager to see if this is causing your issues.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think that's it: that's the device I rolled back before receiving this, the Intel device driver. And indeed, the current one did have that item checked. So I think what happened is that with an updated driver, the default was that it was checked. Everything seems to fit with that explanation. Nice going team!! I think my computer will finally have a good night's sleep!! It's insomnia is probably cured.

kdoc

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem, and a search brought me to your post. It was my NVIDIA network adapter that had the box checked. I unchecked it and solved the problem!
    Thanks for your post. Woody's Lounge scores again.

Thanks

Glad you resolved your problem.

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB