Super Moderator
    Thanks

Older PDA's and Vista

OK, we now have a Vista HP desktop. The wife wants to try and use her iPAQ (HP) Pocket PC h1910 running Windows 2002.
    Anyone try using any of the older PDA's and what Vista calls Sync Center?
    There will be NO syncing with any network drives, just the locale C drive. The Desktop is running Office 2003 SP3, and Outlook 2003 will be used. This device was connected and running with her XP machine and Office 2003 Pro.

If Sync Center will not work, how do we go about syncing the two?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='723398' date='24-Jul-2008 13:55']OK, we now have a Vista HP desktop. The wife wants to try and use her iPAQ (HP) Pocket PC h1910 running Windows 2002.
    Anyone try using any of the older PDA's and what Vista calls Sync Center?
    There will be NO syncing with any network drives, just the locale C drive. The Desktop is running Office 2003 SP3, and Outlook 2003 will be used. This device was connected and running with her XP machine and Office 2003 Pro.

If Sync Center will not work, how do we go about syncing the two?[/quote]

Hi,

Have you figured out an answer yet? I just got Vista and can't sync my Palm M515 because it requires a USB port and the Palm desktop doesn't support that under Vista.

Bruce

Thanks
    [quote name='Bruce_Evans' post='777927' date='01-Jun-2009 20:19']Have you figured out an answer yet? I just got Vista and can't sync my Palm M515 because it requires a USB port and the Palm desktop doesn't support that under Vista.[/quote]
    I think Palm Desktop version 4.1.x works on 32-bit Vista. Unfortunately, it sounds as though you have 64-bit Vista. The usual workaround for more recent Palm devices is to sync via Bluetooth. However, I don't think the m515 had Bluetooth, so the fallback would be using infrared.

Ref: Palm 515 being reinstalled on a new computer using Vista @ Palm Support Forums, Suggestions for syncing the Z22 with Vista 64-bit? @ Palm Support Forums (very long).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='777934' date='02-Jun-2009 01:21']I think Palm Desktop version 4.1.x works on 32-bit Vista.[/quote]
    When I installed Vista (32 bit) last year I found Palm Desktop by Access and have been using it since then. It only recently has been modified to work with XP, so I use it in both places.

However, I had retired my Palm m515 by then and using a Treo 680, so I don't know if the m515 will work with this version of Desktop.

Added in a minute: Nope, it doesn't look like it supports the Palm m515. Sorry. I'll go ahead and make the post anyway - some Lounger might want to know about this version. I was checking the link:

Palm Support : Palm Desktop 6.2 and HotSync Manager (Windows)

[attachment=84061:2009_06_02_061744.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We have retired our PDA's as we no longer really use or need them.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bruce_Evans' post='777927' date='01-Jun-2009 23:19']Hi,

Have you figured out an answer yet? I just got Vista and can't sync my Palm M515 because it requires a USB port and the Palm desktop doesn't support that under Vista.

Bruce[/quote]

Hi Bruce,

I have a Palm M515 and was reluctant to give it up after I retired 7 years ago and when I switched to Vista (32bit) almost two years ago. I found that running with Palm's Desktop version 4.1.4 (not the 4.1.4e version) helped to get going. I say helped because there was an issue in that Palm's Quick Installer would not work.

I found a product called Palm Vista Simple Installer by Business Technology Solved for US$9.95 that provided that missing link. Check their Services and Solutions link, select Software and scroll down to the PVSI item.

With Desktop 4.1.4 along with PVSI to install new apps, my M515 is attached via my USB port and HotSyncs without any issues and is still providing great service after all these years.

Another side issue I had was that the M515's battery wasn't able to hold a charge for any reasonable period of time. I was able to source a replacement battery from BatteryShip for US$21.95 plus shipping. A check of their site shows they have dropped the price to US$16.95. Twas a lot less expensive than trying to get a replacement battery from Palm who wanted close to $100 for them to service and provide a new battery. The kit from BatteryShip is excellent and makes the replacement very easy.

Hope this helps...
    Regards,
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bob.

It's the USB connection that's my problem. There's no simple work around except to sync to my laptop that still runs Windows 2000. I'm not worried about uploading programs because I have all the programs I need and most of the new ones won't run under Palm OS 4 so it's no loss. It's the daily syncs that are the problem, particularly with my banking for which I use Pocket Quicken to communicate with Quicken on my desktop. I don't want to run Quicken on my laptop when I have a powerhouse desktop.

Bruce