Star Lounger
    Thanks

Distrubiting Forms (XP/2003)

So... I designed this great form by following the instructions on the MS site (New|Template, etc.). I protected it trying both Tools|Protect|Form Fields and the Protect Form Icon. Now.... what do I save it as so that I can emait it to people to fill in? A .doc or a .dot? I'd also be able to put the form on a website for people to download and fill in after they save it. What do I upload it as and what to they save it as after they download it? I want people to be able to get a blank form either by email or by download, fill in in and ,be able to save it, open it again and make changes (only in the form fields, of course).

Much thanks for anyone taking the time to help me out,

Very HARDWORKER

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Distrubiting Forms (XP/2003)

For use on a website, you can upload a document (.doc) to the web server and put a link to the document in a web page (using <a href=...> </a> tags). Users can download the document and fill it in.

For use in an e-mail, you can use either a document (.doc) or template (.dot) but you need to include very clear instructions in the e-mail that users should save the attachment to disk, instead of opening it directly from the e-mail.

You could also create a web form that will save the data the user fills in directly to a database on the web server, but that's entirely different, you wouldn't use a Word document for that.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So, let me be sure that I understand:

I start by designing the form in a .dot.
    When I protect it, should I use the protect form icon or the Tools|Protect|Protect Form?
    When I save the form I can save it as a .doc and that .doc can be emailed (but not directly opened from the email), or that .doc can be uploaded to the website.

Seems to me that I had trouble filling in the form after I saved it as a .doc and re-opened it.. I was like I was in design mode and I couldn't get out of it.

(The web form option is a long term goal)

MUCH THANKS!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your template contains only one section, or if all sections should be protected, it doesn't matter whether you select Tools | Protection..., Protect for Forms or click the Protect Form button on the Forms toolbar.
    If some sections should be protected and others unprotected, you should use Tools | Protection... and specify which sections should be protected.
    Save the template while it is protected.
    Then create a new document from the template, either by double-clicking the .dot file in Windows Explorer or by creating a new document based on the template from within Word.
    Save the new document immediately, without having filled in the form fields.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Much thanks again, Hans. I followed your instructions exactly -- created a new .doc from the protected template and saved it as test.doc with empty fields, then closed it. After I re-opened test.doc, the first field was outlined with the same kind of box you get in Design mode. I couldn't enter any data into any of the fields. Tabbing between fields just moved that box. Right clicking on the field with the box around it brought up the fields Properties. Virtually everything on the menus was dimmed out (that's ok). I just want to be able to enter data into the fields of the .doc.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you attach a copy of the document? Remove sensitive information from the copy.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sure-- I created a brand new This is a test.doc and am uploading it here. I can't upload the This is a test.dot because of your site restrictions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You have used controls from the Control Toolbox. You should use controls from the Forms toolbar instead - they will work correctly when your document is protected for forms.

See the attached version.

(You can't attach a .dot file directly but you can zip it and attach the .zip file to a post)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see my error, but the problem is that I think that the text control form the Forms toolbar cant be a fixed size. It expands and shrinks with its contents. Also it doesn't allow word wrap or height changes and has A very limited of properties, like the text control from the Controls toolbar has. I have some user entries that I'd like to be free form within the text box that I give them.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the text box from the Forms toolbar is rather limited. It does support multiple lines, though. You can work around the automatic resize problem by using a table with transparent borders: place the form text boxes in a table cell.
    Words doesn't allow the user to format text in a document protected for forms.