3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Use access to scan .doc's and report findings (2003)

Hi everyone, and Thanks Hans for all your previous help.

I have many .doc files with many letters inside each, I am trying to scan documents from a start date and then and then look through for other letters with the same or newer date and search them for Keywords like 'no further action required' then report back and if I choose to except it updates a table if not moves to the next one.

My questions is... Is scanning a word document comparing what it finds and reporting back with an accept or decline box possible?

Many thanks
    Regards
    Gerbil (AKA Kevin)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use access to scan .doc's and report findings (2003)

Yes, it is possible to parse the contents of a document using code, but it very much depends on the structure of the letters. How easy is it to locate the information that you want? For example, if the date you're looking for will always be on a line of the form

Date: 25 July 2008

it will be relatively easy to locate, but if you have to search the entire document for something that might be a date, it will be time-consuming.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use access to scan .doc's and report findings (2003)

And see my reply to <post:=722,942>post 722,942</post:>...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use access to scan .doc's and report findings

Arh yes, I did have a play after reading that thread you linked. Unfortunatley there is no set way the date has been put in, its not a form in word they are just typed documents, so I would need to scan the documents for the dates. But it with need to first find the date I gave as a start point then look through all the pages for a date equal to or less than the input date, then if it finds a page look for the words 'no further action required' etc if it finds it display the results

I am thinking this one is too hard for me to even beginning with especially given the short time span I have left to process all these incomplete records . There are 6'000 that need doing.

Thanks for your help with the file moving and merging it worked really well, I never did get the exact duplicate bit working though I just couldn't figure out the filename string of the destination with using the directory location as well.

Thanks Hans
    How many programming languages do you know?
    Regards
    Gerbil (AKA Kevin)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that it's going to be hard to find the dates if they aren't in a fixed place and format.

> How many programming languages do you know?

The only one I'm really familiar with is VBA. I dabble a bit in JavaScript and SPSS Syntax.

In the past, I have programmed in Algol 60, APL, Forth, Pascal and Delphi. And Motorola 68K assembly language...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was wondering if this might work.

What if I used my access databse to find the matching 000000.doc file, and import the data into access then search the record for 'no further action required' With a find next (within same .doc file) then when I'm done dump the import and move to next. The original word doc would not be changed.

I only need it to find the pages, so I can enter the dats etc.

Thanks

Kevin
    Regards
    Gerbil (AKA Kevin)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think importing the text of a document into Access would make things easier.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

do u possibly now a piece of code that will open a .doc and search it for a specific word and display the doc if it finds the wod, else abort. I can play from there and see what I can come up with.

Many thanks Hans.

VB or VBA or ASP.net which is best in you opinion
    Regards
    Gerbil (AKA Kevin)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have pointed you to Automation several times now - controlling one application from another in code. I have attached an example of the kind of code you could use to open a document from Access and search for some text in it.
    Attached Files Attached Files