Thread: Favicon

Thanks

Favicon

Problematic attachment moved to zip file by HansV

I am having very limited success trying to include a favicon on my "home" page. This is a page on my local disk that I use as the start (home) page whenever I launch Firefox 3 or IE 7.

When I launch FF, my favicon does not display on either the address bar or the tab for the page. It does show up, however, when I hit the "reload" or the "home" buttons.

When I launch IE, it never shows up no matter what I do.

This whole favicon thing seems so simple, so I don't understand why it does not work. What am I doing wrong?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks

Re: Favicon

Your tag --

<code><link rel="shortcut icon" href="../Graphics/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" /></code>

-- makes sense.

Firefox 3 has a new security policy for "upward" navigation with the file:// protocol. This article has more info: Security.fileuri.strict origin policy @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base. If your home page is on http://localhost/ then "never mind."

Not sure why IE7 would be stubborn about displaying the icon. Seems to fit the description here: How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page (MSDN).

You could try adding the tag to the framed pages as well and see whether that makes any difference.

Thanks

Re: Favicon

The old trick to get the favicon to display in IE was to left-click the icon in the address bar and drag it a little to the right 2 or 3 times - this would refresh the cache.

Otherwise, you could try using AM-Deadlink.