5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Batch file to open 2 programs w/shortcut

I came across a batch file that allows one to open 2 programs with 1 shortcut. Not sure when I’d use it but it sounds intriguing. Is there any harm in opening both with 1 shortcut?

My thanks, Acer

(Windows XP)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Batch file to open 2 programs w/shortcut

I can't think of any negative reasons why it would be a "bad" thing to do, but of course that's without knowing a thing about what's in this batch file you've discovered. Does it use "call" or "start" or what batch command(s) to execute the two programs?

If you'd care to share this batch file with us and it doesn't yet reveal anything private about you, you can attach it to a post as a .TXT file if you like.

And lastly, since you ended your post with a comment about XP, I'll move this to that forum, just in case.

Edited to add: Note that there may be particular capabilities that show up in one version of Windows, but not in another. For example, though DOS per se may well be dead in Windows XP, the commandline functions people most often associate with DOS are not dead at all! (We just don’t call them “DOS commands” anymore; we call them “command prompt commands”. But they’re the same thing.) In some cases, these commands have been made more powerful in Windows XP. In particular, if Win XP Command Extensions are enabled, each of these four has very greatly enhanced capabilities (see Win XP Help & Support to learn about Command Extensions). Take advantage of the opportunity to explore each of them with the /? help flag. (Taken from: Batch File Commands)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Big Al -

The batch file came from http://www.i-really-want-to-know.com/default.htm under Odds and Ends on left side.

Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Go for it, Acer, works like a champ!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Boy oh boy, that was F-A-S-T. Thanks for the heads up!

acer

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The example given opens two instances of the same program. This may have been the intention of the example, but more generally you could use (almost) any combination of different programs.

Alan