Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No sound in Media Center (Vista Home Premium SP1)

I've been using Windows Media Center on my Vista machine for more than a year. Just last night, I watched the Tour de France. No problem. Today, Media Center launches and plays video just like always, but I get no sound. I checked the usual susects: mute (no), speakers: working fine. I get normal sound from other applications—Internet Explorer, for example. I went to HP's online chat feature, and a nice person checked several things before he finally sent me to get new codecs. (I don't know what a codec is, but I now have one or more new ones, I suppose.) Still no sound. Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: No sound in Media Center (Vista Home Premium SP1)

Have you tried re-booting the system? Did you recently install SP-1?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did re-boot. I installed SP1, but that was shortly after Microsoft released it. The really odd thing is that the sound worked perfectly in Media Center just last night. When I came back to it this afternoon, the sound was gone.

Now, there are two more items that I should place into evidence. (1) When I opened MC, I'd get an error message about "SymAddin." The only choice it offered was to disable SymAddin. I've since learned that SymAddin may be a scrap left over from when I uninstalled Norton 360. I've disabled it and it no longer appears. (2) Another error message came up about ""Media Center Extensibility Host has stopped working." I've no idea what an Extensibility Host is. Do you think any of that is pertinent?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

The "MC Extensibility Host" manages addins for Media Center. From what I can find that message means an addin has quit working. I can't find any specific answers on finding out what addin caused the problem.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try running the System File Checker tool.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for that tip. I had never heard of the sfc.exe tool. I ran it, and it reported: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." Hm-m-m...I'm starting to wonder if the problem has something to do with the feed from Comcast. I'll look at that next.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Caesar3,

>> I've since learned that SymAddin may be a scrap left over from when I uninstalled Norton 360. I've disabled it and it no longer appears. <<

To make sure some leftover from Norton 360 isn't causing your problem, download and run the Norton Removal Tool:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgen...005033108162039