New Lounger
    Thanks

Compressing File with embedded docs (2003)

I have a client who wants me to create a Word Document that has a number of files embedded in it. The idea is the end-user double-clicks on the Word, PowerPoint or Excel file to launch the file. He wants it all in one file (no links) and claims this has been done for him in the past and Word can "compress" the embedded files so that the file is not huge.

Of Course currently it is 28 MB, with more files to add. I *think* he is confused about the ability to compress pictures, but I thought I would ask on this forum if anyone knows of a way to accomplish this. I have already searched Microsoft and this forum. Is there some way I am not familiar with that I can do this? One of the PowerPoints is 9 MB itself.

Thanks...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Compressing File with embedded docs (2003)

Word can indeed compress pictures to a certain extent, but it can't compress other embedded files such as Excel workbooks or PowerPoint presentations.
    You can zip the resulting Word document, which may help if you want to e-mail the document. Otherwise, with hard disks, CDs and USB sticks being cheap nowadays, I wouldn't worry about a few megabytes.

Thanks

Re: Compressing File with embedded docs (2003)

I think Word has two different types of embedding. The first is to embed an object with code needed to manipulate it. For example, if you copy an image in MS Paint or Photo Editor and paste it into a Word document, it often consumes far more space than if you insert it from a saved file. The difference appears to be the overhead associated with the image editing application itself.

The second type is to simply drop files into the Word document as a file. If you use Insert>Object>Create from File, or if you display a folder in Windows Explorer, right-click and Copy a file, and then paste it into Word, Word should not incorporate any application code used to manipulate the file. While this might reduce the functionality for the end-user, it does create a slimmer file.

Confusingly, if you press Alt+F9, both of these display as {EMBED} fields.

Now it may be that you have a Word document that is nothing more than the bloated sum of its enormous parts. In that case, you will have to slim the parts. Word compresses native BMP files brilliantly, but I don't think it can compress a PowerPoint file. (But make sure you are saving in binary DOC format, not RTF format, which is more verbose.)