New Lounger
    Thanks

UAC (windows vista home)

Hi everyone, I'm one of the persons been anoyed by the UAC prompts every time I want to install or download something. I was reading the book"WINDOWS VISTA for DUMMIES" and it says that going to START button and type SECPOL.MSC will take me to the Microsoft System Policy Editor and than would be able to change the settings so the UAC prompts stop poping up.
    The problem is that after I tried that, nothing appeared, so I don't know if is just my computer or the author of windows for dummies is WRONG.
    Any other ideas on how to get rid of this stupid and anoying problem?

Thanks

Re: UAC (windows vista home)

Welcome to the Lounge.

There is a good utility that will disable UAC and do a lot of other "tweaking" of Vista for you.

Download it at WINBUBBLE

Check for the UAC setting under Security.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

RRicardo Hello,
    I have also wondered about the "secpol.msc" from woody's book . Maybe something to do with his book being pre "SP-1" Don't know either.
    However i have also turned off the "UAC" (user account control) Go to control panel, click on "User Accounts and Family Safety" Then click
    "User Accounts" Then click "turn user account on or off", un-check the box, and reboot If every thing goes according to plan, no more "UAC"
    Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks

Turning off UAC is NOT (in my opinion) a great idea. Bob's suggestion (WinBubble) will allow you to keep UAC active, but in the "More UAC options", the "elevate without prompting" option achieves what Woody is suggesting. "Secpol.msc" is NOT available in Vista Home versions.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Rebel hello,
    Thanks for the tip ,although i don't really understand the difference between (turning off UAC or the "elevate without prompting") please explain.
    Regards Plain Fred
    PS. I also use WinBubble V-1.74 and have changed as you suggested.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

See the explanation at the end of this blog entry - Tim Sneath : Windows Vista Secret #4: Disabling UAC & this forum thread - AumHa Forums View topic - Disable UAC prompt - Elevate without asking.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Hello, and thanks for the link's. Still have this question, Are they inferring that a program can be downloaded without your knowledge? (because of turned off UAC) or that when you do download a program, you don't have to jump through an additional hoop?, (to have it download) Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks

UAC does not have anything to do with downloading. It has to do with performaing a task on your PC that normally requires adminstrative permissions such as installing software, accessing a protected file, modifying privileged system settings, etc. I don't know of a definitive detailed list of what these activities are. You just run into them as you use your PC.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Hello again. So if i'm reading you correctly, there is no "security risk" from "external" sources turning off "UAC" only from the "user" (or some one who has access to the PC ) messing with the system? Sorry if this is another "Fred-DUH" question, just trying to understand. Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The main issue is the use of "Run" from a exe on the internet. This being a download AND install then UAC will kick in and ask permission. The act of JUST downloading, then the UAC will not kick in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks

The risk is that YOU (or someone with access to your PC) downloads something from the internet (i.e. external source) and either runs it right away or saves it somewhere and then runs it. So, the risk is not directly from the external source but from a user, you or someone else) either intentionally (or being tricked into) running some malware.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Joe et-al,
    Thank's for all your input, and expertise.
    Regards Plain Fred
    PlainFred