New Lounger
    Thanks

'Ghost' files in Windows Search (Vista SP1)

Screenshot shrunk by HansV to 640 pixels wide

Don't know if this is the right forum but here's my problem. I bought a new PC with Windows Vista SP1 last month. I did some major file restructuring/consolidation and all appeared well until...

My genealogy program opens the last file used by default. When I open the genealogy program, it now presents me with the Open File dialog, implying that it cannot find my default genealogy file. Searching for my genealogy file in the expected folder comes up empty. I decided to try the Vista file search (using *.fdb, which should find all of my genealogical files). The Search results (attached) do display two versions of CWR1.fdb in the same folder?! I'm interested in the 7/26/2008 CWR1.fdb file. However, when I click on either of these CWR1.fdb files, Windows cannot find the files even though the search displays them. I"ve used Windows Explorer, xplorer2, checked the Recycle Bin, ran an undelete utility and a 3rd-party search utility - the CWR1.fdb files are not found by any of these. Windows Search alone continues to display these "ghost" files.

My concern is two-fold:
    1) I am fairly certain that I did not delete these files - do I have other files that have just "vanished"?
    2) Why does Windows Search continue to display these two files (not to mention that it shows two files of the same name in the same directory)?

I did have a three-day old backup of my genealogical file so all was not lost. Has anyone encountered such similar bizarre behavior with Windows Search?

Clem Ras
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (32.2 KB, 1 views)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: 'Ghost' files in Windows Search (Vista SP1)

Which version of Legacy are you using?
    Version 7 is released if you are not using it.

1) I do not know what happened to your files, but I do not understand you file path "C:UserHome".
    Are you using a account named "Home"?

2) You are seeing leftovers from the "Indexed files" and it takes some time for them to clear out. I do NOT use the indexed feature. I just go in and use the "Advance search".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

>>> Which version of Legacy are you using? Version 7 is released if you are not using it.

Thanks - I already have version 7.

>>> 1) I do not know what happened to your files, but I do not understand you file path "C:UserHome". Are you using a account named "Home"?

This appears to be the default location for documents on my new Vista PC. I was in the process of moving all of my files to a C_Data folder when I discovered the problem that I wrote about.

>>> 2) You are seeing leftovers from the "Indexed files" and it takes some time for them to clear out. I do NOT use the indexed feature. I just go in and use the "Advance search".

I sort of suspected this myself. I've rarely used any of the previous Windows Search features, relying instead on 3rd-party software. I just thought that I'd try the Windows Vista Search since it has been promoted as improved.

Clem

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If you don't have Windows Search 4.0 you ought to install it. See Description of Windows Search 4.0 and the Multilingual User Interface Pack for Windows Search 4.0. Make sure you download correct package for your version of Vista.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting that this item is offered for Vista, at least to me, because I would have assumed that something like this would have been included in SP-1. Do you know anything more about this WDS 4.0 other than what is in the article and that it is offered to whoever wants it? Secondly, how does one tell what version of WDS they have currently?

THANKS!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks

See Windows Search 4.0 for more information. There are links on the various pages to information about administration and various types of users. If you have not installed 4.0 you have whatever was released with Vista plus any patches. I don't know that version number. It was not released as part of SP-1 because SP-1 was released April 14,2008 and Windows Search 4.0 was released June 3, 2008. Service pack contents are frozen well before a release.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It is also available through Windows and Microsoft Updates on my XP machine. I installed it by mistake. I do NOT like it at all. no easy way of using it.

Windows Search 4.0 for Windows XP (KB940157) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157

Administrator
    Thanks

On the XP systems where I've installed it, WS 4.0 takes over the normal search funtionality. As fas as I can tell the indexing just runs and the user doesn't normally notice it. It is easy to modify what gets indexed. I guess I don't understand what you mean by 'no easy way of using it'.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

All I ever got was the blank start screen and even the advance world not allow one to CONTROLL the search locaction by drives. It is always by type of data.

Administrator
    Thanks

The picture you attached looks like Vista. Are we now talking Vista and not XP? On my Vista Business SP-1 system when I use 'Advanced" I get the attached. Then I can use the Index Locations drop down to modify the search scope. If I start a search on an XP system from Windows Explorer I can change the search location/scope as I always was able. On an XP system, If I start a search by richt clicking the magnifying glass in the tray I do not have the options available as I do using Windows Explorer.

Joe
    Joe