New Lounger
    Thanks

pictures (Ms Office/Word)

I have scanned a color pic into my pc - then inserted the pic into a Word doc. I now want the pic to be black and white but cannot find the original scan and no longer have the document. Is there a way of extracting the color pic from the Word doc so that I can get it into a picture editing program where I can then change it to black and white.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: pictures (Ms Office/Word)

There are several ways:

- Open the Word document.
    - Save it as a .htm file (filtered).
    - This will create a subfolder in the same folder as the .htm file that contains all the pictures from the document; you can open and edit them in your favorite image editing program.

or

- Open the Word document.
    - Click once on the picture to select it.
    - Copy it to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
    - Open your favorite image editing program.
    - Start a new image, if necessary,
    - Paste the picture (Ctrl+V).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the picture to be black and white in the original document (which may not be what you're asking about) you can click on the picture to select it, then Format...Picture...Picture tab and try the black and white or grayscale options.. ....J. Till

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans and Jill
    Progress is - tried Hans's second option but image cuts and pastes into the photo prog ( Serif Photo plus 11) as a very thin and tiny image. If I then stretch it back to its proper shape and size it is a very blurred - unusable image.
    Then tried Hans's first option. Saved file as html ( i don't have a 'html filtered' option(?)) This gives me a doc with thumnalils of the pics - I can change them to B&W using 'Format@ - as in Jill's suggestion - but I can't copy and paste them to anywhere - so come to a standstill.
    Jill's option worked - almost - but as the pic changes to B&W it jumps two inches to the left and I get "Windows encountered a problem - shutting down sorry for inconvenience"

So, nearly there - but not quite - any other suggestions folks?
    Thanks
    T

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Which version of Word are you using?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans
    I'm running MS Office 2000.
    T

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, that explains why you don't have the option to save as a web page, filtered. This was introduced in Word 2002.

Still, if you save your document as a web page (*.htm, *.html), then close it and start Windows Explorer, you should see a new subfolder in the folder where you saved the .htm file. This subfolder will contain all the images from the document as separate files (*.jpg, *.png or *.gif depending on the type of picture). You can edit these pictures in a graphics editor such as Microsoft Photo Editor.

Note: do not save as a single-file web archive (*.mht), you won't get a subfolder with images.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think I have said this before but it is worth repeating "Hans you are a gem!"
    Cheers
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Peter,

I suggest you try Jill's method again - with a new document. The crashing you're getting suggests your old document may be corrupt. If you need anything from it, go to the very end of the document, insert a new paragraph, then copy out everything except the new paragraph.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]